What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL ADS-B Antenna Compatibility

pvalovich

Well Known Member
I'm still in a do-loop regarding ADS-B solutions for my -8A. Purchased an EchoUAT and will interface with my AFS 4500. Not yet installed but installation appears to be straightforward.

Contemplating replacement of my 10+ year old Garmin 496 with an Aera660. Understand that EchoUAT doesn't play with the 660, so thinking about an overkill 660/GDL 39R configuration to take advantage of the 660's capabilities.

Does anyone know if I can split the ADS-B In signal from the EchoUAT antenna to the GDL 39R? Not much antenna real estate available.

Does anyone know if I can split the ADS-B In signal from the EchoUAT antenna to the GDL 39R? Not much antenna real estate available.

pvalovich,

The echoUAT uses a single monopole antenna for transmission and reception. If you were to split the antenna to both units, you would have a high likelihood of damaging a unit because of the transmitting device.

While Garmin hasn't done any specific testing on this, theoretically, if both units are receive only and you were to split the antenna, you would split the signal strength, but if cable losses were low, the performance would likely be acceptable.

Thanks,
Levi Self

Team X Project Manager

Back