What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TKS wing Deice

TKS

Seems like it would be doable...BUT

At what cost?

The stem for the Cirrus aircraft would be comparable to what the -10 would need. The EMPTY weight of the system is 60 lbs. The weight of the system with fluid is 134 lbs.

There is no price listed for the system, so I would expect it to be $$$$$.

The TKS fluid is expensive...$542 for 30 gallons. the system holds 8.

The TKS wing system alone will not give you flight into known icing, you would need prop heat and a windshield deice as well...more $$$$$

So I guess it would be a possibility but even if you were to spend the considerable cash to install the system, one question still remains:

Do you REALLY want to be flying a light single engine airplane in those kind of meteorological conditions?

I seem to recall someone developed an electrical wing deicing system for the 10 which eliminates the issues with TKS. However, I agree that it?s not really something that I?d recommend pursuing.

RDD using a graphite foil laminate for electric airframe deice.

Much lighter than TKS and doesn't require fluid. There are pros/cons to every type of system.

Much lighter than TKS and doesn't require fluid. There are pros/cons to every type of system.

Lighter except for the hundred-amp alternator they add to your plane to run it :) but it does seem to be a nice product otherwise.

Wouldn't you have to add it to the wings, HS, and VS as well as do something for the Prop and Windscreen?

If I had a choice between a weeping wing or an electric wing I would take electric wing every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Weeping wings do work but there are several problems.
1. Keeping the emitter panels clean. If you don't keep the panels clean during the good weather then they get all blocked up and don't work particularly well in the winter when you need them. The laser drilled panels seem to be less susceptible than the larger mesh but they still clog up with bug guts.
2. You have a finite amount of protection. Once you have used the fluid you are done.
3. Finding fluid on the road. Some FBOs have it, most don't.
4. Corrosion. While the fluid itself is not corrosive, it is a fluid never the less and it will support corrosion. Nearly all metal aircraft with weeping wings have issues with corrosion aft of the panels.
5. Pre-use need. The TKS system is an anti-ice system. It isn't very good at de-ice. It will prevent ice from building but won't readily remove ice that has already accumulated. What that means is, you need to have it on and running before you encounter icing conditions.
6. Dripping wings. Lost count the number of times I forgot and brushed up against a wet wing after landing and smeared TKS all over my uniform.

Wouldn't you have to add it to the wings, HS, and VS as well as do something for the Prop and Windscreen?

I would think so, certainly if your goal is FIKI. There?s also a lot of R&D that goes into the process in the standard certificated world. I fly IFR a lot and personally, as much as I?d love to have a FIKI aircraft, there?s no way I?d try to roll my own. Even adding limited Anti-ice/deice with no intention of FIKI without testing could be a recipe for disaster. Nope, the risk is too great in my book. YMMV....

Back