What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Tom Powers #83300

Excellent progress Tom! it's looking great. Let me know if you want a ride sometime... won't really help with transition, but would be fun! :)

I finished the Canopy and installed it. I'm happy that I changed directions and went with the Show Planes Fast Back canopy. It feels like a tight seal when closed and locks securely. I will check further on first flight.

Love mine too.

A heads up; seems pretty common to build a Showplanes canopy so tight it can't be latched the first time you get it hot in the summer sun.

Looks really nice. Is this another UA paint scheme or are you planning something else?

For now it will just be bare aluminum with the fiberglass painted grey. I'm leaning more towards the Rocket paint job. Freelance still has it in their computer. It might be cool to have a mini Orange.

Love mine too.

A heads up; seems pretty common to build a Showplanes canopy so tight it can't be latched the first time you get it hot in the summer sun.

Dan, does the binding come mostly from the CTR latch? With the geometry I can see that one getting tight. I hate to open them up too much. (I'm sure ill be at an airport waiting for the temps to cool down before I get it right)

Today Was The Day.

I got my Airworthiness Certificate issued to me today by the FAA. I still have some finish up fiberglass work I want to get done before flying. I figure if I don't get it done before it will be harder to do it later. I'm also moving to a different hanger (same Airport) so I should be in the air next month. :)

FullSizeRender.jpg

Congrats Tom!!

Glad to see another -8 get the license to fly! Huge milestone!! And - I noticed that you are only 31 slots ahead of me with your serial number - too cool! :D
Thanks for the inspiration.

Dan, does the binding come mostly from the CTR latch? With the geometry I can see that one getting tight. I hate to open them up too much. (I'm sure ill be at an airport waiting for the temps to cool down before I get it right)

IIRC, had to oval the holes in the front and rear canopy bulkheads just slightly.

Back