What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Practice on scrap!

Draker

Well Known Member
Reason number 148 for why you should practice learning how to use a tool (in this case a nutplate jig) on scrap rather than the workpiece:

IMG_0275-M.jpg

Sometimes I make a mistake and say, "Well that happens--lots of builders learn this one the hard way". Other times I have to say, "Wow there really isn't any excuse for this. Use your head, dummy!" This is one of those times. :mad:

If you're a new builder, heed the advice constantly given here on VAF to practice on scrap first!

Last edited:
I have tape permanently affixed over that outside hole on my nutplate jig just for this reason. Too many extra lightening holes.

Scrap Pile

I think my scrap pile is now about 6 inches high, with all types and shapes of "spare" aluminum and steel to use for testing. This post caught my attention because I am right at that same point of needing to drill the rivet attach holes for the those nut plates in the joiner plate. I have also been debating about using my nut plate jig for this, or another method that some have used by using the actual K1100-8 nut plate as a template, with the screw inserted to hold it against the skin in the proper place.

Curious - Are you gong to make a new joiner plate? Order a new part from Vans? Check with Vans to see if you can just build on?

Back