What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 FlyBoy8 SoCal

FlyBoy8

Just ordered my empennage kit!!!
Pretty excited. I wonder how long before it gets to my house in Anaheim CA?
I just need to get the garage cleaned out and start on my work benches. I've been thinking about doing this for a few years and after last weeks trip to Osh, and a ride in the RV-7, I decided it was time to pull the trigger.
It will be a slow build, but my wife is on board and wants to help, so I'm thinking our progress will probably out pace our budget, but that's OK. I think the build will be a lot of fun.

Congrats!! If you want to come over and check out my build and workspace/tools, just send a PM. You're welcome to come by any time. I'm a first-time builder, but I've completed the tail feathers, so I might be able to impart a little wisdom.

Congrats!! If you want to come over and check out my build and workspace/tools, just send a PM. You're welcome to come by any time. I'm a first-time builder, but I've completed the tail feathers, so I might be able to impart a little wisdom.

Thanks for the offer Doug. PM Sent.

Welcome to the party!

Way to go Mike - You sound like me a few years ago - I know the feeling and amazement of thinking, "I can't believe I am building an airplane - that is so cool"...which is followed quickly by the thought of - "...or am I crazy?" Those feelings will oscillate and subside over time.

Take the next few days to get the garage organized and cleaned out because when the empennage arrives - your life will have just changed. :D Enjoy the build...and by the way, you picked a great airplane! :cool:

Ok, so here is a little progress. Back riveting the stiffeners on the rudder worked pretty good except for the row on the trailing edge. Those rivets don't look as nice on the skin side as the others.
IMG_1636.jpg
[/URL]

I think I messed up my R-710 rudder horn brace. I was trying to remove the pre-punched guide holes that tell where to trim the horns and didn't realize I was leaving less room for the rivet holes that attach it to the lower rib. I sent an email and pic to vans. No response yet. This will probably be my first ruined part.
R-710001.jpg
[/URL]

Any word from vans yet?

Looking forward to watching your progress. Im debating on doing the exact same thing you are and may be starting soon. Should not be to far behind you.

Please keep us updated

Edge Distance

Yes - I think u will be buying a new one. That was my first ruined part also, years ago. There have been several more. Don't let it get u down.

Keith

Nice progress, Mike!! Yes, we've all made the additional parts orders to Van's; just part of the process. Keep at it. :)

Haven't received a response from Vans yet so I just ordered the R-710 anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I just wish I would stop making stupid mistakes. Had to drill out the rivets for the reinforcement plate at the top of the rudder spar. I put them all in from the wrong side. They looked so nice, and then I was like "Sh!!". They were really in there too. Took a while to remove. Maybe I should of just left it, but aren't the universal rivets supposed to have the manufactured head on the side with the thinner material? I also have a couple of #4 rivets where #3's should be.

Also, when the plans specify the rivet to use like "all R-710 to R-704 rivets..." are they implying the manufactured head should be on the first part listed?

If anyone knows of a veteran builder with free time near Anaheim Hills who would like to tutor me a bit please let me know. I'm sure I could use it.

Last edited:
Nice progress, Mike!! Yes, we've all made the additional parts orders to Van's; just part of the process. Keep at it. :)

Hey Doug. Thanks for showing me your plane and giving me some well needed tips the other day. I'm going to try to keep my build moving as fast as yours if possible. Its tough to get out in the garage after a full day of work and the commute etc, but I'm going to try.

Back