What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Alodine?

zsadecki

I'm trying to use the 'brush it on' method of applying alodine. Several of my parts treated this way have a blue tint, or blueish-green streaks. I'm speculating that this the part of the chemical conversion and just didn't get dyed by the alodine colorant. Is this OK, or do I have to do these parts over again (in a bath)?

possible cause

After a little web searching I ran across two other references to blue alodine. The first had something to do with a plastic bucket, the second was from the 'brush on' method I was using. I have a suspicion that this is from the brush material reacting with the acid. I guess I have to re-etch and re-alodine all those parts. Super! 2 or 3 hours of work wasted!

Hi there,

I wouldn't be too worried about this change in colour.... I've seen it several times while repairing production aircraft and we had no trouble with painting afterwards. One noteable incident was when rebuilding a fairly old Mooney that had ended up going for a swim off the end of a strip that turned out to be a bit short... the blue was quite noticeable and the experts put it down to a slightly higher copper content in the aluminium alloy.

Have fun!

Mike

Back