What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

towbar

Selma

.... and a happy new year to anyone out there...

does anyone knows what kind of towbar I should buy? I have to replace the old one (one of the nice guys took mine while my RV9a was parked on the ramp and I couldn't find it anywhere :confused:) The old one looked like a cessna's towbar. Would such a towbar fit to a RV9a?

It works, it's economical but the spring isn't strong enough.

If you are wanting something for a longer time, buy a Bogi Bar.

I use that towbar on my taildragger. It came off and my plane rolled into my lawn tractor/tug, bending an elevator (Since re-skinned).

To keep that from happening again, I bent and welded this small piece of bar stock around it.
209j528.jpg

I use that towbar on my taildragger. It came off and my plane rolled into my lawn tractor/tug, bending an elevator (Since re-skinned).

Mine popped off when I was pulling the airplane into the hangar 6 months or a year ago.

My tailbone was bruised, but nobody was around to see it, so my ego remained intact.

Problems with the ACS model seem to be related to tailwheel use. I have had no issues with mine coming off, but I use it for steering the nose wheel while pushing or pulling on the prop. I?m sure the bogi bar is great as well, I just haven?t had the need to upgrade.

Chris

Mine popped off when I was pulling the airplane into the hangar 6 months or a year ago.

My tailbone was bruised, but nobody was around to see it, so my ego remained intact.

I've used that towbar (used to be known as a 'Cessna' towbar but looks like it has been rebranded as a "RV" towbar since they are so popular) with the RV-6 since 1999 but am careful about making sure it doesn't pop loose. I like Bill's mod and may do something similar. Because of concern about injury to my personal aging airframe (glad Kyle's wasn't more serious!) I now use a tug to pull the RV-6 back into the hangar with the same towbar.

aircraft-tug-small.jpg

aircraft-tug-2-small.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone Using a Bogi Bar to Push an RV-10?

I've bought the Bogi Bar and the nose wheel pins, but haven't finished my RV-10 yet. However it seems to be a very well constructed tow bar and the service from Richard Bogert has been great, so I would recommend them.

QUESTION
: I may have a line on an older lawn tractor for use as a tug, but I'm not sure if it will work to push the RV-10 backward into a hanger. There is a small up slope into my T-hanger, and not enough room to turn the plane around inside the hanger, so the plan is to push it into the hanger and then pull it out.

Any experiences or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

A couple of other changes I made to that "Cessna Deluxe" AKA RV tow bar was to cut off one side of the T handle and weld in a smaller diameter tubing so it would fit in the hole on my lawn tractor. I then welded up the red bar with the jog in it. The jog was so the handle would clear the rear finder of my tractor and so I could hitch to my tractor without dismounting. Yes, there is a spring button on it, same as on my passenger stick so I can remove the red section.

vy8x6s.jpg

Bogi-Bar here as well. I put some large snap bushings in the wheel pant holes for the tow bar...goes a long way toward protecting the paint.

I have had an electric tug for 38 years that I bought and used on my B-55 Baron. The setup is only good for a nose wheel. I have an RV 9. My T hangar has a swale in front of it that makes it a bit of a chore to get the plane out. There is also that pesky concrete lip at the entrance to the hangar that requires getting her back into the hangar a matter of building up a little steam and keeping up the momentum to get the mains over the concrete lip.
We have modified the tug attachment points. I just ordered and am waiting on the Flyboy Accessories extended axle for the tail wheel. The arms of the tug will slide under the axle ends. The mod to the tug attachment points now have the ability for the axle ends to sit inside the tug attachment arms. The weight of the tail will hold the tail wheel axels in place. The electric motor will easily move my 9 in and out of the hangar.
I will have the new axel within a few days and if I knew how to post pics I would post one. This has been an easy low cost mod that will make ingress and egress a piece of cake.
My concern about a mod to make my tug function like the bogi bar was the attachment coming off the axel like many have posted earlier in this thread. With the axel sitting in the attachment points the tail wheel is off the ground and the weight of the tail keeps everything in place.

Bogi bar?

Thanks 📫
What do you think? Isn?t a bogi bar bit to heavy for carrying it with in a light weight aircraft?

Thanks 📫
What do you think? Isn?t a bogi bar bit to heavy for carrying it with in a light weight aircraft?

RV-A model Bogi Bar weighs in at 3 lbs 7 oz.
Tailwheel model is 3 lbs 3 oz.
RV-10 model weighs 3 lbs 6 oz.

For any folks with a tailwheel, you might also consider our Stainless Steel Tow Bar Bolts, which replace the axle bolt and have a 5/8" D lug on either end to accommodate a tow bar, as well as a flange at the base of the head and nut to keep your paint from getting scuffed.

We have two versions of different length that depend on which fork you have.
The bolt for the standard Van's fork and our Screaming Eagle fork can be found here: https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1112.htm
If you have the Bell fork or our Condor2 fork, find it here: https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1111.htm

Back