What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Landing Light Mounts

cwharris

Where do we get the mounting hardware for mounting or attaching the landing lights to the light mounting bracket (W-00017) that's in the wing?

LightRetainingBracket-600x600.jpg

Here is one place.
https://www.teamaerodynamix.com/shop/product/retaining-bracket-par36-light/

Not 100% sure, but I believe that the specific light mounting hardware (mounting ring to fit up against the W-00017 bracket) would come with the light you buy. If it's a Wheelen light you may find info at their web site.

Is there not a light mount out there that will bolt right up to the light mount bracket that's supplied in our kits? Light mounting bracket (W-00017)
The W-00017 has those nut plates on the side of the bracket. What bolts to them?

Brackets

Not 100% sure, but I believe that the specific light mounting hardware (mounting ring to fit up against the W-00017 bracket) would come with the light you buy. If it's a Wheelen light you may find info at their web site.

No you only get the light. The brackets are separate and Van's will supply those.

Is there a part number for the Van's bracket then? I have 2 PAR36 HID's that I need to mount within a couple weeks.
Tim

Vans said (as of today) the landing light kits and aileron trim kits would be available soon! Said the recent SB slowed them down.

I was able to talk to the right person at Van's who took good care of me and I'm being shipped the brackets for my lights. They are going to offer an entire light package, but it will assume you're using some LED landing lights. I already had 2 HID's on the shelf, so I just needed the light holding bracketing. It's different than the other RV's, so the stuff earlier in this thread won't work for you.

The parts you need if you just need to install your own PAR36 lamps are:

Bag 638
Drawing OP-52A
W-00016A (1 per side if using 2 lights)
W-00016B (1 per side if using 2 lights)

I think these were just caught up in internal gumming, and once things got communicated out it freed them up. So my guess is you can order them too. Now, if you're planning to order the complete light kit, I think they may be waiting on the actual LED lights.

Hi Guys,

the LL LED Kit A fits both RV-10 and RV-14, and contains mounting brackets, hardware and lights to support the Aero LEDs Sun Spot LX.

This kit may be ordered without lights, providing only the brackets and hardware. The parts included therein are:

Bag 638, Drawing OP-52A, and 2X W-00016A and 2X W-00016B, as Tim noted.

With a little modification, the brackets can be adapted to most round lights (the cutout in the brackets is Ø4.25)

Also, LL Lens Kit RV-10 will provide a means to add RV-14 style cutout landing lights and lenses to the leading edges of your RV-10 wings.

More options for lights may be forthcoming, but we wanted to get this one out of the box first without delaying to support other options.

Thanks for your patience.

EDIT: The lights themselves are not yet available, hence the delay, but you can still order the Bag, Drawing and Parts noted above.

Last edited:
Given how much white LEDs have come down in price, it surprises me how expensive the landing/taxi light products are (even for Experimentals where no PMA is required). Has anyone found a more affordable alternative for LED lighting that provides the right kind of beam width/focus that you want for a landing or taxi light?

Given how much white LEDs have come down in price, it surprises me how expensive the landing/taxi light products are (even for Experimentals where no PMA is required). Has anyone found a more affordable alternative for LED lighting that provides the right kind of beam width/focus that you want for a landing or taxi light?

I know a guy who went here to buy a set of PAR36 LED Lights and I have to say they are very bright and for the money well worth it. https://www.larsenlights.com/led-work-lights

Sunspot 64 landing light

the LL LED Kit A fits both RV-10 and RV-14, and contains mounting brackets, hardware and lights to support the Aero LEDs Sun Spot LX.

Will it be possible to use the Sunspot 64 landing lights with the above mentioned mounting brackets and hardware in RV14 leading edge.

Will it be possible to use the Sunspot 64 landing lights with the above mentioned mounting brackets and hardware in RV14 leading edge.

Adriaan, looking at this data sheet: http://aeroleds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/0106-0004-Sunspot-64-Installation1.pdf

It looks like the Sunspot 64 is approximately Ø8". That's roughly twice the size of the Sun Spot LX, so unfortunately, the standard bracket won't fit it. Come to think of it, you'd have to put the light pretty far back in the 10/14 wing to even be able to fit it in there, not to mention enlarging the cutout to get it in there.

But maybe I'm missing something? :)

The kits are designed for the PAR36 form factor light. Any PAR36 light will fit right in including the Whelen lights. I have sold many to 14 and 10 drivers. Larger form factors like the PAR46 will NOT fit the kit and would require significant modification.

I stuck PAR36 HIDs in mine and it wasn't a drop in mount. The aluminum they supply is fairly thin and flimsy, and the hole in the back half of the bracket is oversized...not 4" like the PAR36. So, if you want to sandwhich a PAR36 bulb, you have to rework things. I took the front ring and duplicated it on .063, to give a better front light bulb ring. Then used their supplied ring as a hole reducer for the back bracket. So unless you use their suggested lighting, you may end up having to tweak it a bit. With some work though you should be able to get any PAR36 bulb to fit.

Back