What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Smoke System Install

schmitty340

I just finished my smoke system installation and would like to give a big thank you to Marvin over at Smoke Helpers!

268404ed1ae18da7edef753c56ba71c0_zpswnrvzqoh.jpg

I used his deep well tank made for the baggage compartment of the RV8. I ask him to weld the pump mounts right to the top of the tank, and the fit was perfect. The shut off solenoid and regulating valve were mounted to a plate I made mounted under the pump. This resulted in a removable package, if I ever need the space. With this setup, I still have full use of my fwd baggage compartment.

0d2fba8c607354db9591e854fbfe2144_zpsnxpqvu2c.jpg

The firewall fwd was easy with the harware he supplied. Cut and fit some hoses, drill two holes in exhaust.(making sure one on each side) then secure the injectors with clamps. Finally secure the lines. Done!

fe63fa16ac28946512222aed0015acb3_zpskdyn3xat.jpg

25ae874fca9664a5aa6ad693caaf44f5_zpsv8zqmkc0.jpg

069fed546e32dd08eeb3fde8927a2c7e_zpse3eyxwhp.jpg

can you tell me what solenoid are you using and does it stop the dribble where it is mounted? Love my system too.

can you tell me what solenoid are you using and does it stop the dribble where it is mounted? Love my system too.

I got the solenoid from Marvin. It's on his web site. So far, it seems to work where it's at. I get one extra puff when system is off and I do some maneuvering. My guess it's the little bit of fluid trapped in the up hill part of the line.

I also thought about using the primer solenoid vans sells up front in the smaller lines. That would probably get rid of any extra puffing.

How much dribbling to you get after shut off? With that much line to drain, I would imagine it's substantial. Might consider a low-head check valve as close to the nozzles as you can get it (considering heat and ability to secure it). I've used solenoid valves. They're OK. But the most simple is the check valve. There are custom built check valves described very well here in the archives.

After few flights now, I can report no dribbling! I do get an extra puff after shut off about 1/10 of the time. Very happy with the installation so far!

And here is an inflight photo from a few days ago.

9637fe23ab6226ef60fc9f77b2bcb1ac_zpstqwcipck.jpg

Dave, thanks for the kind words and great pictures. I have both solenoids and check valves on my web site. If you still get dribble with the solenoid then you need the check valves. Some need them and some do not. Marvin

I just finished my smoke system installation and would like to give a big thank you to Marvin over at Smoke Helpers!

268404ed1ae18da7edef753c56ba71c0_zpswnrvzqoh.jpg

I used his deep well tank made for the baggage compartment of the RV8. I ask him to weld the pump mounts right to the top of the tank, and the fit was perfect. The shut off solenoid and regulating valve were mounted to a plate I made mounted under the pump. This resulted in a removable package, if I ever need the space. With this setup, I still have full use of my fwd baggage compartment.

0d2fba8c607354db9591e854fbfe2144_zpsnxpqvu2c.jpg

The firewall fwd was easy with the harware he supplied. Cut and fit some hoses, drill two holes in exhaust.(making sure one on each side) then secure the injectors with clamps. Finally secure the lines. Done!

fe63fa16ac28946512222aed0015acb3_zpskdyn3xat.jpg

25ae874fca9664a5aa6ad693caaf44f5_zpsv8zqmkc0.jpg

069fed546e32dd08eeb3fde8927a2c7e_zpse3eyxwhp.jpg

This looks really nice. How is the oil tank mechanically attached to the plane? I see the aluminum angle, is that all there is or is there a bracket on the bottom of the tank as well.

Anything you would do differently?

Going to make my order with Marv next week.

Thank you for the great write up and pics.

Back