What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Induction Tube Boot Alternative

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
There has been plenty of discussion about induction tube boots lately so I thought I'd share the direction I'm taking with reinforced silicone hose and constant tension clamps.

Disclaimer- I have not flown this yet so I have no idea if this hose will live up to its promise of long service life, but its cheap enough to experiment with.

The hose is a 12" length procured from Summit which was easily cut into 2" boots with a utility knife. The clamps are Roto Clip brand PN HC-34.

Hose: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-27051/overview/

Clamps: https://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/hc.pdf

23hoacj.jpg

Initial impressions are excellent. The hose is plenty stiff to prevent collapse under vaccuum and the clamps provide plenty of security. I can't see these things blowing off.

Last edited:
Temp rating

The specs say up to 350 degrees. I'm wondering if we don't exceed that near a Vetterman exhaust system. Or any system with unshielded pipes just below these intake boots.

The specs say up to 350 degrees. I'm wondering if we don't exceed that near a Vetterman exhaust system. Or any system with unshielded pipes just below these intake boots.

Suggest you look at the specs for your rubber hoses. From what I have learned, silicone is typically specified as the go to flexible material for high heat situations.

Larry

Replacing mine now after pulling the sump
to retrieve a pmag clamp dropped into mag hole
Doh!
Somebody remind me- what problem are these fixing?

Erich

Replacing mine now after pulling the sump
to retrieve a pmag clamp dropped into mag hole
Doh!
Somebody remind me- what problem are these fixing?

Erich

The clamps are light, cheap, and don't need tightening because they compensate for temps and material changes. In other words, install and forget. The silicone hose should pretty much eliminate the hardening, cracking, extrusion and leaks the rubber boots exhibit.

Last edited:
Spring clamps

Mike: I can use 8 but will take 10. PayPal?

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Clamps

I'd like to have six if still available! Can send a check or give you a card. I don't use PayPal. Thanks.

Lots of requests for these things now, but please be sure to indicate how many you want (remember, a minimum of 2x the number of cylinders), and most importantly, your shipping address.

Also, no need to include extra for shipping. These things are cheap enough that I'll cover it.

OK everybody - Just did the math and it looks like I'm cleaned out - all 100 of them. No more available until I get these bagged and shipped and see where I am.

I'm getting set to ship these out tomorrow but I still need mailing addresses for Bill Dicus, texdog, and Claudio. Please PM me the info ASAP.

Thanks

They're all in the mail and you should see them in a few days.

I'll be getting some more of these eventually, so those who didnt make the cut on this round will have another chance. I'll let you know.

To those who are going to use regular channel lock pliers on them, use caution: they store a lot of energy and slip out of the jaws easily.

Finally, if you have any real world reviews for the clamps or silicone couplers please post here (positive or negative).

Help with purchase

This sounds great, would like to do this on 3 engines.

Would someone help with info?
Intake tubes from Summit....good link!
Roto clamps= HC-34 PDF said lot of 500 but Toolbuilder got 100 and was selling some.
Oil return lines..McMaster-Carr ? P/N ??
Would be good to have all the info in one place.
Thanks for all this help....wonderful idea.

Nice idea. Used regularly on really cranky tuned turbo inlets and compressor outlets sitting atop glowing red exhaust manifolds. Should handle the job satisfactorily.

This sounds great, would like to do this on 3 engines.

Would someone help with info?
Intake tubes from Summit....good link!
Roto clamps= HC-34 PDF said lot of 500 but Toolbuilder got 100 and was selling some.
Oil return lines..McMaster-Carr ? P/N ??
Would be good to have all the info in one place.
Thanks for all this help....wonderful idea.

I got my bag of clamps from MSC Direct.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/48690382?rItem=48690382

I dont know the proper PN for the oil return line clamps, but they are also manufactured by RotoClip and should be available from MSC.

oil return line clamps

Thanks Michael,
Good info.

Anybody know the P/N of the oil return line clamps? Assuming the standard hose.....
Thanks

Euro & Asian car makers use flat wound versions of those clamps. Much better for silicone (more surface area), but harder to find.

Actually, the new American OEMs use the flat style too, and Roto Clip is the likely supplier since the flat style is also in their catalog. I switched to the wire type after reading the product specs for both. The higher specific clamping pressure of the wire is what I'm looking for in this application. Since neither the tubes or sump have a retention bead, I'm looking for a high 360 degree point seal.

Feedback

My Oil return lines are leaking and looks like I have the same issues as everyone else.

Whats the feedback on the Constant-Tension Spring Clamps from someone who used them? I'm planning to get them from McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#5324k55/=189qeo8

Planning to get the below sizes for O-320(correct me if I'm wrong)
2 1/8" Clamp - for Intake Hose
5/8" Clamp - for oil return hose

Your input is much appreciated.

I did this on the oil return lines and it has been leak free for the last 2 years.

IMG_6501-M.jpg

I don't recall the size of the constant tension clamps. I got a foot of oil hose from the local auto parts store and cut it into 4 pieces.

Pulling this thread back out to let you know that I have a limited supply of these clamps again, so those of you who are interested let me know.

$15 shipped (CONUS) for a 4 cyl, $20 shipped (CONUS) for a 6.

Mike

I'd like to have six if still available! Can send a check or give you a card. I don't use PayPal. Thanks.

Hi Bill,

Checking my records I think you got left out of the last batch. I tried to PM you but you are all full. If you want some, I have them.

Anybody else using these: Any reports in service?

Hi Bill,

Checking my records I think you got left out of the last batch. I tried to PM you but you are all full. If you want some, I have them.

Anybody else using these: Any reports in service?

Michael,

If you have any left, I'd like to buy some for my IO-360. Qty 8

Charlie

Last edited:
Short answer is "yes".
Longer answer is that you'll need a set of new gaskets (4) for your induction tube runners as you will have to unbolt them where they attach to the cylinder head with two bolts. Once the intake runners are unbolted you will be able to pull them out of the induction tubes and slide the new clamps on.

Back