What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing a Ray-Allen G205 grip for trim control in G3X RV-12

Rrhsch

I am not an electrical engineer. I have my avionics bay open due to a bad AV50001A and the repaired unit is on its way home. I am considering installing a Ray Allen G205 grip that I own to control the trim. I have a Garmin G3X w/GPS20A and Garmin GMC307 w/autopilot.

Vans told me that I will need a relay for this stick control. My question is where do I make the connection in the system. My thought is to install the REL-2 relay in the switch harness by intercepting pins 18 and 19 and connecting them and my grip wires to the relay with the relay output continuing through to the AV50001A. Is this the correct place to connect a Ray-Allen REL-2 relay. I don't want to damage the AV50001A box.

I am not an electrical engineer. I have my avionics bay open due to a bad AV50001A and the repaired unit is on its way home. I am considering installing a Ray Allen G205 grip that I own to control the trim. I have a Garmin G3X w/GPS20A and Garmin GMC307 w/autopilot.

Vans told me that I will need a relay for this stick control. My question is where do I make the connection in the system. My thought is to install the REL-2 relay in the switch harness by intercepting pins 18 and 19 and connecting them and my grip wires to the relay with the relay output continuing through to the AV50001A. Is this the correct place to connect a Ray-Allen REL-2 relay. I don't want to damage the AV50001A box.

Are you using 1 grip switch or installing 2? I simply used a double pole double throw switch and wired both stick switches.....works fine. I have the Garmin set-up too!

I am only installing the one G201 grip.

Then simply use two posi-taps, and install on trim wires to stick switch with the stick switch grounded. Just don't simotaniously(sp) use panel switch and stick switch at same time.....I'd put a on/off switch to preclude that from happening..

Below is circuit that does not use a relay. You could just tap into wires 18 & 19 on the AV-50001 SWITCH & FUSE MODULE, as long as you do not push the panel trim switch and Ray Allen switch at the same time but opposite directions. Alternatively, remove the wires from the AV-50001 and connect them to the stick switches. Pushing both the up and down Ray Allen switches simultaneously should not hurt Van's control board since wires 18 & 19 have equal voltage, but I can not be 100 percent sure without seeing a schematic of the trim logic. If Mike Miller reads this, maybe he will give his opinion.
ry%3D400

Last edited:
Then simply use two posi-taps, and install on trim wires to stick switch with the stick switch grounded. Just don't simotaniously(sp) use panel switch and stick switch at same time.....I'd put a on/off switch to preclude that from happening..

Ric, on the Ray-Allen G205 it is very easy to push the up and down buttons and ground wires 18 and 19 on the switch harnes at the same time. Has this ever happen to you? I would be interested to know if any one has ever grounded wires 18 and 19 at the same time. If this occurred without damage, then the AV50001 uses some sort of relay logic. I don't think I would need a DPDT swicth to isolate the panel switch if this is the case.

If wired per my post #5 above, wires 18 & 19 can not be grounded at the same time by pressing the Ray Allen G205 up & down switches simultaneously. Just do not push the Ray Allen G205 and the panel switch at the same time.

Ric, on the Ray-Allen G205 it is very easy to push the up and down buttons and ground wires 18 and 19 on the switch harnes at the same time. Has this ever happen to you? I would be interested to know if any one has ever grounded wires 18 and 19 at the same time. If this occurred without damage, then the AV50001 uses some sort of relay logic. I don't think I would need a DPDT swicth to isolate the panel switch if this is the case.

My stick trim switch is a China hat...can not push up/down trim at same time. I used a double through switch to select either pilot or co-pilot stick grip to control trim. Works great! Just don't use panel and grip switches at the same time.

Ray Allen 205 wired to RV12 with Garmin G3X

A follow up for those interested. I have wired the G205 per Joe Gores drawing and I have been flying with it for 4 months. It is possible to have wires 18 and 19 connected together in this configuration if the nose up and nose down buttons are pushed at the same time. I have done this on many an occasion without any harm to the AV50001 and there has not been a commanded change to the trim servo if this happens. Each button on the G205 is a double poll switch. The key to the wiring is to have the ground disconnect on the opposite button when depressed. When both buttons are depressed there isn't any ground.

Don't use the panel trim switch at the same time! To fool proof this, install a double poll switch on the panel to transfer wire 18 and 19 from panel to stick.

I used the left and right button to switch radio frequencies and activate Control Wheel Steering/Autopilot Disconnect.

I decided not to use two G205s. The passenger stick has a G105 with just a push to talk button. I'll gladly email picture of the wiring of the G205 to anyone who request it. I don't have a way to post picture at this time, so if anyone else wants to post it, great. Vans may disagree with my installation and assessment that my wiring method won't damage the AV50001. This is how I did it and it is possible that it might not work on your plane. Use this information at your own risk.

For anyone interested, I have a new uninstalled G205 i'll sell for $85.00 with a double poll switch to transfer control from panel to stick. Free shipping in the Con US.

Back