What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C Starter Horizontal injection

380mxc

Has anybody installed a B&C starter with the horizontal injection? I'm trying to figure out if there is a clearance issue with the servo and/or the fiberglass intake snorkel.

B&C starter

I had to make a number of mods to my snorkel to accommodate the B&C starter on my -8. It seemed to work out. Let me know if you'd like pics.

Bill,
I would appreciate pictures very much. How much clearance do you have with the mixture cut off?

B&C starter

Hi Tim: I had to reverse the control lever for the mixture, pointing it down and fabricating a new cable bracket. I'll try to send a pic that shows some of this. Can you give me your e-mail? Bill

I'll send you my email as well since I'm also having clearance issues with my mixture lever. Silverhawk FI/B&C Starter.

I'll send you my email as well. I can also post the photos if you like.

Thanks!
Russ

Bill, you're over your private message quota and it won't let me send you my email. But you can decode it here:
[my first name] @ [my VAF username].com

Also, please tell me if it's OK to post the photos to this thread.

Thanks,
Russ

Bill,

I sent you a PM, not sure if you still have those pictures of your snorkel mods. I am going to do them too.

Russ, perhaps you have Bills pictures still, or perhaps some of your own?

:confused: CJ

B&C Starter, IO-360, Bendix throttle body, horizontal induction and snorkel

I replaced my SkyTec Lightweight starter (literally broke) with a B&C starter on my RV-8 equipped with IO-360, Bendix throttle body, horizontal induction and snorkel.

Don at Airflow Performance was a big help. I bought his 1.5 inch offset throttle lever to replace my mixture lever. It clears the starter and my mixture has full travel using the Airflow Performance lever.

I had to do a bunch of surgery on my snorkel so it would clear the starter. Turned out pretty good for my first exposure to fiberglass.

First start with B&C starter was today. Very impressed by how fast the B&C starter spins the prop compared to the Skytec. The B&C doesn't draw as many amps initially as the Skytec. Permanent magnet (SkyTec) vs wire wound (B&C) with a gear. The B&C worked on the first try. The SkyTec used to require two sometimes three bumps to get it going. The B&C starter is a work of art. Glad I made this decision. I used to cringe every time I tried to start my engine with the Skytec starter. The B&C makes me smile. I gained 2 pounds up front going to the B&C.

It cost more but I'm worth it.

Back