What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baja LED Mounting -Seeking Best Practice/Experience

BillL

Well Known Member
So, may have now mounted the Baja Designs LED for tip lights. We know they are bright and electrically quiet, but what have you learned about . .

. . . the mounting system? Is it better to be recessed (Mike Bullock), flush or mostly even?? Does flare off the lens occur if not recessed?

. . . adjustment (and aiming) with the three spring method. Do the vertical loads of bouncing taxi or aero cause them to droop? Did you go with heavy springs for this reason?

. . . attachment for mount - Mike B used the face, others (pict below) use the standard points, but depend on the fasteners to keep it in position.

So - what would you recommend from your installation and findings?

Thanks!!

EP1lrIoVD_uzeEn3Hlp_iF0hET_QpXrOB2gvmJQSUV6JLt6FcOcdkCqOM6ycSAssDjnzbzs9uN5_mxVmxBfEA1hW14TkQEE9iHt0hP1DvJ1HwGX_LHSoEjtdyujKUJ7a37bJnylW2WPhwIGn7y1tAwJRr15ySm6spg9FmbQjNVlAKE3BA-j4ED-fRcBP8CJGRZqkA9w4Ip2rqX37EQhzpJxu5D5vabL6ttXGtOmbSQkVMbzwI9Obye5cV64hF-LCSwy1xeEOGtFIFpbgI-qJN9i-W9HRhTvkdGigcJ0qeWgK5MNz9KOa57_phyisKfw2uESi-ULa0V4ONp3wlOyuhgBTpyKz3P6Ys4ZVVt3EAsPcAqxbPDxdjgWMorINJUiEiHmKYMDR6prWZjSj8pEiKjg31zVqYgv71dqSCPa-Ksu9CbfMu1KAkXP4CNYKec6U_EualR2Y_ifojevjrEM7X_OqfmMb-ZCvso6_iINRcXxwn9yraAEsclGUwHQQdWUGiiVlAK1wOOTa8PXq4AUflOkgBMAbcxa5fgwrHeBecL-OvKq1fMVoD4-2jYvlYnYUShiHwNbfgHJPt3npm-jBqL9lPFwJlG800XiyZpOT6yLdFmUrz0RzIct7hktMwdoz3MJ0eK-Q_DEoO_HBUTzx1sI3PLNNmuP68CZc9l2xkw=w803-h508-no

I think the photo you used is my setup. It's the only one I have experience with so I don't know if it's better or worse than others. What I can tell you is 1. I mounted it semi recessed because I thought it looked good with part of the very nice housing visible through the lense rather than being installed entirely behind the face of the cutout. 2. If you do it this way, be careful of the final position. Mine rubs a bit against the lense after I adjusted the position to work well. 3. This mounting method works well regarding the adjustment of the light aim. 4. The lights do not shake during taxi or flight ops, at least not that I can see. I used some off the shelf springs from the local aviation parts counter in the hardware store. 5. While there is a little reflection of the light on the lense, you can't see it from the cockpit unless you look directly at it. Not a factor. Good luck.

fji1yt.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for weighing in Jesse. I have some lighter springs, so will get some larger, ones and move up to #8 screws too. Taking your advice on the projection to avoid sense contact. I shall also use the factory attachment points.

Do you have a royalty for your design? :D

Back