VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Pneumatic squeezer problem

So Iím using my pneumatic rivet squeezer for the first time in maybe 15 years (!). The ram, fully retracted, extends 0.3Ē, and fully extended, the gap (with no set installed) is 0.4Ē. I took the yoke off and the ram out, and itís a fixed ram (non-adjustable). So Iím wondering if the squeezer has something wrong inside causing the ram to be too far extended, all the timeÖ Hopefully Iím doing something dumb that I just donít remember.

There is no manufacturer or model number on the squeezer body. And I do have a full bunch of flat sets of various thickness.

Iíve looked briefly at the Cleaveland too youtube video, and although that reminded me of some things Iíd forgotten, it didnít help solve my problem.

So is there something internal that needs to be looked at? I'm not looking forward to taking it apart but can surely do that. And there are no indications of rust or sticking.

Thanks!
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 08-19-2018, 08:35 AM

It doesn't have a button that limits the retract stroke, does it? One of mine (I have a tool buying problem) has a button just beneath the yoke that stops the ram from retracting all the way. I guess the idea is that it would be quicker to actuate but when it's engaged the gap is generally too small to get over an unsqueezed rivet, making it useless.

Post a picture if you can.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Found the problem

I had a longeron yoke installed in the squeezer, and although it has the same gap as the plain yoke, the base is not as tall, causing the ram to protrude into the gap. When I put the "standard" yoke in, the problem went away.

I guess the longeron yoke is designed for a shorter ram, and I'd either not noticed it before or had forgotten it.
2018 dues paid
Old 08-19-2018, 04:08 PM

While it's not helpful yet, once you get the squeezer operable, get an adjustable ram. Makes gap setting much faster.

Dave
Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
I guess the longeron yoke is designed for a shorter ram, and I'd either not noticed it before or had forgotten it.
I had an appropriate length ram hidden in a tool drawer. Like I said, I'd not used it in 15 years...
2018 dues paid