Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-12-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
I have not heard of a lot of guys going that extra step, and I think as long as it was properly filtered it would not be necessary, but that is just my thoughts.

Charlie
Absolutely not. Use distilled, no dissolved solids, or get a TDS meter and use something less than 100 ppm.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 08-12-2018, 10:40 AM

A buddy of mine had a "sleeper" street race 5.0 Mustang a few years ago. The engine was essentially a stock 87 5.0 but he had headers and a great exhaust. The car would routinely run in the low 10 second range at the dragstrip - fast even by todays standards. There were lots of covert suspension mods and a light car, but the real secret was a significantly overdriven Paxton supercharger. There was no intercooler of any kind and even if there was, the stock compression engine should never have survived the level of boost being thrown at it. The whole key to making this work was a boost activated pump moving mass quanities of methanol to a nozzle in the inlet of the supercharger. This dropped the intake temp significantly and added the detonation suppression needed to make the power. The downside is running the methanol tank dry at high power - the engine instantly experiences catastrophic detonation and is rendered junk.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
A buddy of mine had a "sleeper" street race 5.0 Mustang a few years ago. The engine was essentially a stock 87 5.0 but he had headers and a great exhaust. The car would routinely run in the low 10 second range at the dragstrip - fast even by todays standards. There were lots of covert suspension mods and a light car, but the real secret was a significantly overdriven Paxton supercharger. There was no intercooler of any kind and even if there was, the stock compression engine should never have survived the level of boost being thrown at it. The whole key to making this work was a boost activated pump moving mass quanities of methanol to a nozzle in the inlet of the supercharger. This dropped the intake temp significantly and added the detonation suppression needed to make the power. The downside is running the methanol tank dry at high power - the engine instantly experiences catastrophic detonation and is rendered junk.
Michael,

Yes, the issue of running the tank dry is really the only issue that seems to creep on guys. There are many fail safe solutions on the market today. I for one am just not going to push things hard enough that if the Meth Injection stops, anything catastrophic will happen. But I know this can be a real issue for people who are pushing their engines to the limit. That wont be me.

Also, I see by your signature you are going to use the SDS EMS? I absolutely love my SDS and cannot imagine launching a set up like this without one. Super easy and great support from Ross and the folks at SDS.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:21 PM

Default Meth injectdion videos.

I thought I would post two videos I made for youtube here. The first one is of the engine on the test stand where I describe the components of the set up.

https://nam02.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

I hope that link works, will someone please let me know.

Also Part 2 is of the actual run up. It is too loud for me to try to talk in to the phone to narrate what you are seeing. Sorry. But please watch the "AT" air temp creep up to 150 degrees F. I am running at 5000+RPM and at about 35" of Manifold. with a 68" 3 blade warp prop at 20 degrees pitch. It is pretty harry. But you will see the AT drop 27 degrees to 123 degrees in about 30 seconds. Amazing in my opinion.

Here is the link to video #2.

https://nam02.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0

Let me know if both of these videos run for you. If not I can try a different way to link them.

Charlie.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM

Charlie

Both links work fine. I'm shutting off the TV and watching your YouTubes...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 392

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 08-14-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Charlie

Both links work fine. I'm shutting off the TV and watching your YouTubes...
Thanks for the follow up, I often wonder if they work for other folks so thank you.

Charlie
Old 08-16-2018, 01:42 AM

Charlie

How soon do you think before airborne trials begin?

Has the engine been previously fitted to airframe?
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 392

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Charlie

How soon do you think before airborne trials begin?

Has the engine been previously fitted to airframe?
I wish I could tell you that it will fly soon, but my day job and honey dos keep getting my time!

If the intercooler testing goes well, I will build the engine mount. The airframe is 99% done, but I have the panel to build, upholstry, etc. Which to me means probably about a year out before completion.

The more testing I do the more impressed I am with the set up.

Thanks for asking.

Charlie
Old 09-01-2018, 11:43 PM

Default Intercooler installed with pics

I have my test stand engine set up with the intercooler installed. Please remember this is a test stand engine to run the engine with the new options to see how they perform. This latest test is a follow up to the testing with the meth/water injection system.

I have not ran the engine with intercooler yet. I hope to do that this weekend.

You will see in the pics i had to "clock" the compressor housing to allow the new routing of the intake tubes with the intercooler.

This required a moving the waste gate to fit the swing valve. The old custom adapter would not work, so I welded up a new apater. The waste gate rod is threaded with 6mm x 1.0 T.P. threads. I just welded a SS 6mm coupling nut to a 0.65" think steel, worked great.

Here are some pics.

http://halie.com/oeK.jpg

http://halie.com/oeU.jpg

http://halie.com/oeZ.jpg

I would appreciate at least one person to let me know if you could see this pics OK.

P.S. I am going to reduce the size down further to see if it post a pic, rather than a link....

http://halie.com/oei.jpg

Please post questions if you have any.

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 09-02-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
....I would appreciate at least one person to let me know if you could see this pics OK...
I can see all pics fine. Nice work!
RV-4 O-360 FP (Sold)
Orlando, FL