What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'll Never Need A Repairman's Certificate Again....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
When I was a kid, infatuated with anything that flew (still am that kid) and reading every book I could get related to aviation, I came to the conclusion that to be a complete aviator, you needed to be able to fly, design, and work on airplanes. I don’t know why I figured it out that way – just did. So I became a pilot in High School, and went to college to learn to design airplanes. Checked off two of the three. I started working on airplanes when I was thirteen, and have been doing it ever since – but always on either experimental aircraft or under the supervision of a licensed mechanic (when working on certified aircraft). I never had the time to go to a two-year trade school to do the formal training for the A&P, and when I lived in Houston, the local FAA office made it pretty difficult to take the test based on just experience.

Fortunately, the Reno FAA guys have a more enlightened view of the world, and last fall an inspector offered to sign my paperwork to allow me to take the three written exams, the oral exam, and the practical. I finished the writtens in January, and have spent the last two weeks prepping for the O&P. And this morning, I became a licensed A&P! Took the test at Barnes Aviation at Fox Field in the Antelope valley, spitting distance from Edwards (and yes – it's THAT Barnes…..). It took a lot of time to study so that I’d do the tests to high standards, and I can’t thank Louise enough for her support in this endeavor. Now maybe, I can get on to all those other things on the list….

I had to do a riveting project for the Practical - the FAA called it a "complex riveting project". Consisted of riveting a two inch by 2 inch piece of .040 aluminum to the center of a four inch by four inch square of the same stuff, using eight rivets. Mind the edge distance! I was not worried.....:cool:

Last edited:
Way to go! My mentor who was going to sign off on my hours passed away.
I then ran afoul of the "You can't count building an experimental..." guy at the FISDO when I went in to apply and frankly I just gave up rather than try to fight upstream. Thankfully I have several good friends and neighbors that will sign off on anything other than my 6 which I hold the certificate on.

Well deserved Paul.

Hey Guy......

Good going. I never doubted you! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Congratulations Paul! You reached the heights many of us only dreamed about.

Discovery%20-%201.jpg

Awsome! Congrats.

I count obtaining my A&P while in the Air Force as one of my proudest achievements. Right up there with my ATP and heavy airplane Type Ratings..

The young man who used to help me do aircraft mx now has his a&p and I kid with him about the time he helped me change the bungee cords on our Pitts. I told him he has now done something very few have done, including the most talented airshow pilots who fly any version of the Pitts.

Cm

Likewise, congratulations. Enjoyed the afternoon hike with you last yr while you were attending the Lycoming school.

Jim Diehl 7A

Congratulations Paul! Prepare yourself for an endless barrage of questions regarding everything from....oh wait....you get those anyway!:D

A&P

3 months into an 18 month program. Learning tons after thinking that I knew it all after flying for almost 50 years!

Congratulations

Congratulations!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Kosh and Razz will be happy to see you back home.

Ms L. also..........

Congratulations Paul, that is so cool!

I think often of going for it myself, especially as RVs 2 and 3 approach completion.

Congrats

A huge congrats from me. That's also a life goal of mine. I'll never be smart enough to design them so I'll have settle for two of the three:eek:.

Well done, Paul. There's no foolin' you now, now that you've got an A and a P. :cool:

Good job Paul ! I know first hand they don't just hand them out. Remember.. No good deed goes unpunished 😜
Ryan

HUGE congrats to you, Paul !!! This is major inspiration for us "retired guys" out here where the local FSBO's are not as enlightened as yours. :)

Nicely done, Mr. Dye. A&P is cool and all, but the commitment to tick off life goals impresses me always, regardless of the area of interest!

Most excellent. Congratulations!!

I was just at an A&P symposium in Mesa AZ and one of the speakers was Nicole Charnon. She is the current accident investigator for Continental Motors. She has the usual list of pilot ratings including CFII, Aeronautical degrees, worked for the NTSB, and she said the one accomplishment she is most proud of is her A&P!

Excellent! Way to go Paul. Never a doubt except for all that whatever?? Talk about someone I'd let work on my plane.. Cheers

Now on to that 4th - or would it be 5th - career!

Congratulations Paul...I hope this doesn't mean you'll be any busier than you already are.:eek:

Paul,

Congratulation!

It is also my goal to get my A&P. I am taking a different route. I received my LSRM earlier this year so I can self-certify my experience. I intend to use my time building my RV8 as experience working on airframes, but I will need additional time working on powerplants. Here are some reference information if you are interested:

FAA Guidance
FAA Inspectors Handbook. Order 8900.1 Volume 5 Chapter 5 Section 6
paragraph 5-1253.

5-1253 CREDIT FOR LIGHT-SPORT AIRCRAFT PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE TOWARD MECHANIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS UNDER TITLE 14 CFR PART 65, SECTION 65.77. A repairman (light-sport aircraft) with a maintenance rating may document time working on either ELSA or SLSA. To apply for a mechanic's rating the repairman must show that he or she has at least 18 months of practical experience working on either powerplants or airframes, or that he or she has at least 30 months of practical experience working on airframes or powerplants concurrently. One month's practical experience is 160 hours of documented time.

Other reference:
AC 65-32A

12. May Experience Earned as Repairman (LSA) with a Maintenance Rating be Used to Meet the Experience Requirement in Part 65, ? 65.77 for a Mechanic Certificate? A repairman (LSA) with a maintenance rating may document time worked on LSA. To apply for a mechanic certificate with airframe or powerplant rating, the repairman must document at least 18 months each of practical experience, working on either airframes or powerplants, or at least 30 months of practical experience working on airframes or powerplants concurrently. One month?s practical experience is 160 hours of documented time. This time includes all time working on SLSAs and only condition inspection time on ELSA aircraft. Documentation should be in a written format, such as a log showing the date and number of hours spent performing the work, type of work performed, and the registration number of the aircraft the work was performed on. The log entries must be verifiable, which can be accomplished by either statements and/or initials from the individual?s employer or supervisor or owner of the aircraft following each entry in the repairman?s logbook.

Note: RV-12 builders, you may not count build time on an ELSA build if you certify your RV-12 as an ELSA. However, if you certify your RV-12 as an E-AB, your build time could be used as your experience. It is crazy but that is the rule.

Yep.

Yes it does feel good once you have crossed that threshold. For us it was Rice over at Hobby south of Houston to get our part 42 ticket. Too many years ago now, but still writing it on even our Little RV. Still trying to get my moneys worth. Keep up the good work.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Back