What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Governor stud length

burgessbuilderMO13

Just received a new hartzell governor from Van's. The thickness of the mounting flange is equal to the length of the mounting studs, which leaves zero stud length available for washer and nut.
The engine is a rebuilt 540, that has previously had a governor mounted on it, but apparently not similar to the new one. Has anyone had this issue, what new stud length is required to replace the current pieces. How long are the studs on engines supplied through Van's?
Dale

Just received a new hartzell governor from Van's. The thickness of the mounting flange is equal to the length of the mounting studs, which leaves zero stud length available for washer and nut.
The engine is a rebuilt 540, that has previously had a governor mounted on it, but apparently not similar to the new one. Has anyone had this issue, what new stud length is required to replace the current pieces. How long are the studs on engines supplied through Van's?
Dale

Most likely it has the 1-3/4 inch long studs (31C-14). My rebuilt engine did and I had to swap them out with the 2 inch versions (31C-16) in order to mount my MT gov.

Same problem

I have the MT 860-3 governor and had to change the studs for longer on my rebuilt C4b5 engine.

Back