What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel pant attach bracket cracked: advice

russe

I took off the nose wheel pant on my -10 this weekend and noticed a crack. See the attached picture. I suppose that I have to order new brackets from Vans, and then install them. Any thoughts about this issue?

Photo%20Aug%2020%2C%201%2023%2039%20PM.jpg

Your could probably make a repair with some aluminum and flush rivets, but almost as easy would be to just order and make a new one. By cutting off the ears of the current one and removing the nutplates, you could probably use them as a template to drill the new bracket so everything fits like before.

Chris

The only reason to repair would be if you are trying to avoid repainting the fiberglass. If you are real good at bending aluminum, you could form a piece of .063" that fits exactly inside the U of the bracket and use a bunch of flush rivets to secure, then cut out the associated slot to match the bracket. This will need to be one piece of aluminum.

I'm guessing just replacing the bracket will be a lot less work. That is what I'd do.

Any thoughts on why it cracked?

Carl

Just replace them. They are much stronger new than trying to fix that one. You shouldn't need to modify the fiberglass at all. Drill the nut plates and cut off the ears on your old one so you can lay them over the new brackets and drill the same nutplate holes.

I have cracks in mine many times. I operate off of grass almost exclusively. I tried repair, double layer aluminum, epoxy layup inside a new one. Finally I made a new bracket out of 4130. So far all good

Gary Specketer

I'm on my second bracket repair. The first time I bought new brackets and added a doubler. During every preflight I check the rigidity of the wheel pants and every time it has been rock solid. Imagine my surprise when I took the front wheel pant off for my 1st condition inspection and found both the new bracket and doubler with cracks in the same places as before.
I too operate off a grass strip and would be very interested in having a 4130 version of the bracket. Gary, is there any chance of getting them from you? That would be a great solution.
I understand that Rob Hickman replaces his frequently and also operates from grass.

Thank you,
Gerry

I have just started flying from a grass strip. Initially I was keeping the controls neutral and "rotating" at 65kts. It was suggested that I should keep the stick hard back, keep the weight off the nosewheel, hold it just off the ground and let the aircraft fly off when ready (using flap 18).

Waaaay smoother way of doing things and hopefully will relieve some of the stresses on the nose gear and fairings.

I'm on my second bracket repair. The first time I bought new brackets and added a doubler. During every preflight I check the rigidity of the wheel pants and every time it has been rock solid. Imagine my surprise when I took the front wheel pant off for my 1st condition inspection and found both the new bracket and doubler with cracks in the same places as before.
I too operate off a grass strip and would be very interested in having a 4130 version of the bracket. Gary, is there any chance of getting them from you? That would be a great solution.
I understand that Rob Hickman replaces his frequently and also operates from grass.

Thank you,
Gerry

No unfortunately I only made one set and since have lost access to press brake

Gary

Back