What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much does a Hartzell constant speed prop weigh?

From another thread - A post by RV6_Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
Anyone know the weight of a Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497 prop. I need it listed on a form ,to obtain my C of A ,thru the Canadian MD-RA service. Inspection went well but in Canada the documents need to go thru three people before I get issued my C of A .
Thanks Ron

Best place to look is the Type Certificate Data Sheet. See TCDS P-920.

Looks like 51.8 pounds.

I might also add that it put my CG exactly on the empty forward limit (where I wanted it). My empty weight is 1,108 lbs with it.

In a -7, it works out just fine. Also, the kick in the pants on takeoff is tremendous!

Great prop!

:) CJ

Since we are on this subject, I also am switching from Fixed to C/S, should I be C/G concerned ? Is it possible that I will need to move battery from firewall to rear ?
RV-8

FWIW,
In my 8, 0-360, CS prop, battery on firewall, if I am solo, I put 25# on the rear baggage shelf, remove it with a passenger. Really makes it land better.
If anyone is interested, I have a new 3 blade Catto prop. for sale, that I was going to use on my current project, an RV8 with a Lyc. IO-390. I decided to instead use .a CS prop. and put the battery in behind the read baggage area. PM me on the prop. I would take a reasonable offer.
Dick

Last edited:
I find it odd that Hartzell will post all the specs on the full line of props but only a few have the weight listed. I would think this is a pretty important number not to be left out of the specs. I've searched lots of Hartzell catalogs and found very little weight data. I guess a call or email to Hartzell would get you the data you need.

I find it odd that Hartzell will post all the specs on the full line of props but only a few have the weight listed. I would think this is a pretty important number not to be left out of the specs. I've searched lots of Hartzell catalogs and found very little weight data. I guess a call or email to Hartzell would get you the data you need.

The data you want is published in the Type Certificate Data Sheet and can be looked up on the FAA TCDS website.

The data you want is published in the Type Certificate Data Sheet and can be looked up on the FAA TCDS website.

OK: 1. That doesn't address the issue. 2. Why doesn't Hartzell list this information on their complete model list, that includes most of the specs except the weights, and 3. Who is going to waste half the day looking thru FAA Type Certificate sheets? Come on..

I was going to weigh mine before I bolted it up, got distracted, its Heavy! 60-70 LBs? I remember someone once said 73 ?

Since we are on this subject, I also am switching from Fixed to C/S, should I be C/G concerned ? Is it possible that I will need to move battery from firewall to rear ?
RV-8
On my second 8 I switched from a Hartzell CS to the much lighter composite CS. Made a big positive difference.

Back