What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage skin bending jig

KatanaPilot

Well Known Member
I am headed to Synergy next month to quick build a slow build fuselage kit. They normally use QB fuselage kits, so they don't have the skin bending/clamping jig that is shown on page 29-4 of the Construction Manual.I have a pretty good woodshop, so I'm making the jig.

If anyone has built one and remembers how they did it, I would appreciate any info they could provide.

I have cut the 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 46" block out of rock maple (kind of sad to use great wood for this). My plan is to use the band saw to cut the 12" taper cuts at each end and then the table saw to do the 45 degree cut end to end.

The drawing of what should be a 45 degree angle is not - although the dimensions show base and height the same.

Anyone have a better idea as to how to accomplish this?

Last edited:
You are on the right track. I glued up a couple of pieces red oak for this as that is what I had left over from a woodworking project. I'd send you mine but just looked in the shop and could not find it. I'm guessing it did not survive the wood stove kindling pile.

I do recall you really need this jig, but you need not get too anal on precision.

Carl

Thanks for the reply

Understood, but don't want the folks at Synergy to critique my wood working skills. They do enough of that on my non-existent sheet metal skills :D

The key for this jig is that it have a straight edge and the angles gives clearance for the bend. It's a throw-away piece and if they do critique it just remind them that it's only used twice and then discarded and if it does the job then it is perfect no matter what it looks like.

alternative idea

I picked up a 36" long piece of approx. 2"x 2"x 1/8" thick angle iron from HD. Worked great. No woodworking skills required.:)

Well that's too bad

The key for this jig is that it have a straight edge and the angles gives clearance for the bend. It's a throw-away piece and if they do critique it just remind them that it's only used twice and then discarded and if it does the job then it is perfect no matter what it looks like.

I was going to make it a work of rock maple art ;)

If they are doing another slow build, I'll leave it for them - otherwise I will bring it home and hang it on the wall as a memento.

I picked up a 36" long piece of approx. 2"x 2"x 1/8" thick angle iron from HD. Worked great. No woodworking skills required.:)

Angle iron? I would think that would have damaged the skin as you bent it. I enjoy the woodworking and it's been years since I've done any of note. So it's a win-win for me.

Welcome to use mine. My father lives in Griffin and I'll probably be up for a visit before too long.

Thanks much!

Welcome to use mine. My father lives in Griffin and I'll probably be up for a visit before too long.

If yours has been modified for step two of the process, that would be great. I will use mine for step one and then yours for step two.

I am shipping a center spar and the bending jig to Synergy next week if you will be in the area before then.

If yours has been modified for step two of the process, that would be great. I will use mine for step one and then yours for step two.

I am shipping a center spar and the bending jig to Synergy next week if you will be in the area before then.

Mine is modified for the final step. Missed the fact that Synergy is on the west coast and you'll be shipping. Probably won't be driving up before you ship next week, but I do a lot of flying for work into various FBOs around ATL (PDK a lot), so that is an option as well if a flight in the area hits the schedule.

Thanks!

I can always take it with me when I fly out - so let me know if it's convenient and you are in the area. Of course, I'll return it when we are done. Thanks very much.

Back