What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick motion for aileron control.

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I recently completed the interior of my RV-10, and with nobody in the plane I can get 10 inches of side-to-side motion on the stick (measured from the point where the tube arc meets up with the vertical grip). However, my fat knees reduce that motion to just over 4.5 inches when my feet are on the rudder pedals. I've never flown a stick controlled airplane before, but 4.5 inches doesn't seem like a lot, especially when compared to the 180 degrees allowed by Cessna yokes. What range of motion will I need for normal flying?

I do have the Aerosport center console installed, which crowds my knees in further than would normally be.

Even without adding a center console it is not possible to get full travel without your legs getting in the way.

On the practical side, even with the interference you will find you have far more control deflection than you will ever use.

Build on,
Carl

I hit my leg when doing aileron rolls. It would roll a little faster if my legs were thinner. In "normal" flying, though, it's a non-issue. :D

I recently completed the interior of my RV-10, and with nobody in the plane I can get 10 inches of side-to-side motion on the stick (measured from the point where the tube arc meets up with the vertical grip). However, my fat knees reduce that motion to just over 4.5 inches when my feet are on the rudder pedals. I've never flown a stick controlled airplane before, but 4.5 inches doesn't seem like a lot, especially when compared to the 180 degrees allowed by Cessna yokes. What range of motion will I need for normal flying?

I do have the Aerosport center console installed, which crowds my knees in further than would normally be.

If you're especially concerned with getting every inch of travel possible (which is always a good idea) make sure you trim your stick so that the grip is totally above your legs. A 3" wide stick grip (and your hand around it) will take another inch or two of travel away when it hits your leg.

Back