What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Engine Removal Checklist

fbrewer

Well Known Member
Members,

I will be removing our AEIO-360-B4A next week.

Does anyone have a Check List for engine removal from an RV-6?

I've searched the forum, but I cannot find any reference.

TIA

Like most Beechcraft manuals spell out— remove attaching parts. Reverse to install.

I doubt you’ll find a “checklist” for that task.

I just removed the engine from my 7A. I took notes as was taking things apart so that I would have a checklist to refer to when I install the new engine.

My task list is specific to my plane and I probably left some things off as I was getting towards the end.

I?m out of town until the 27th, but if you send me a PM I will send you a copy when I get home.

Members,

I will be removing our AEIO-360-B4A next week.

Does anyone have a Check List for engine removal from an RV-6?

I've searched the forum, but I cannot find any reference.

TIA

Uhhh...disconnect everything and remove the engine?

Since it is obvious you've never done this before, it might be helpful if you bag and label fasteners as you remove them. Also, take some photos before you take everything apart. This isn't a difficult task, next time you do this it probably won't take more than an hour. :)

overhaul-24.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what I came up with off the top of my head. It won't offend me if other folks add to the list...

• Pull either the top or bottom set of plugs and disconnect all 8 plug wires. This will make it easier to clock the prop for convenience (if still attached) and will reduce the possibility of the engine accidentally firing if the crank rotates.
  • Disconnect the fuel line from the firewall to the fuel pump.
  • Disconnect the fuel return line from the engine (if applicable).
  • Disconnect both wires from the alternator.
  • Disconnect the ground strap or straps from the engine to the firewall.
  • Disconnect the big wire to the starter.
  • Disconnect the engine sensors and associated lines (oil pressure, oil temperature, CHT, EGT, Manifold Pressure.)
  • Disconnect the p-leads from the magnetos.
  • Disconnect the exhaust support system (if it ties to the engine mount and not the engine).
  • Disconnect all engine controls (throttle, mixture, alternate air, carb heat)
  • Disconnect the prop control (if installed).

Engine removal

It depends on the reason for removal. On a 6A that needed a taper pin mod for nose gear attach bolt I left the prop and baffles installed. If the engine was going to be disassembled I would start on the outside and work in, remove prop-exhaust-baffles-intake pipes-alternator-starter-airbox-carb/FI. What?s left is easy to see and get to. If the cylinders are being removed I like to do that with the engine still on the mount. Label everything. Some good quality tape and a sharpie for that. A models need a tail stand. Put a label over the ignition switches that says ?NO OIL? in big letters as a reminder.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Drain your oil.
Mark all of your hoses and harnesses.
Take lots of pictures before and as you work.

Take special note of things that need to be re-installed, like manifold pressure fitting, before you re-mount.

Back