What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACR PLB battery replacement?

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Seems like yesterday when I got the super new tech ACR AeroFix 406 PLB. Now the five year batteries are expired.

Best I can tell my options are to ship the unit to an authorized battery replacement facility (closest one seems to be Houston) and pay about $280 plus shipping for the service. ACR says the batteries are not even available to the public, much less that the public should replace them.

or

to buy a brand new ACR unit from Amazon for about $200 that would be smaller and updated.

Am I missing something?

It would seem that there would be no reasonable resale demand for a PLB with expired batteries. ACR gives no instructions but I would presume the thing to do to retire the unit would be to de-register it, take it apart and remove the batteries and dispose of them.

GPS on the new unit for $200?

If you can get the GS built in for $200 then clearly that would be the way to go..Seems too good to be true however??

If you can get the GS built in for $200 then clearly that would be the way to go..Seems too good to be true however??

Product Features

* Includes internal GPS and a connector for external NMEA 0183 position input
* 406 MHz Satellite Search and Rescue transmitter, 121.5 MHz Homing Beacon transmitter
* Size: 1.74 x 5.71 x 3.03 in.; Weight: 12 oz. w/o holster; floats
* 24 hour transmit time
* 5 year battery shelf life

Technical Details

* Brand Name: ACR Electronics
* Model: 2798.4NH

$206.72 Free shipping

Boy, I sure hate to throw away good stuff, but they make it hard not to.

Last edited:
Oh dear - I probably am not that far behind you Larry! Maybe two years to go.....I'll have to check. I do remember that when Louise gave me mine, I checked the location of the service facilities, and there was one in Webster - the town I drive through on the way to the space center every day - about a block off NASA Road 1. I'll have to see if it is still there!

It is sad that a five year old unit might already be considered obsolete, but hey, that's life in the electronics world today....

Paul

Anyone learn anything on this topic since it was active? Anyone take theirs apart and replace the batteries? Or, is it still cheapest to replace it, removing it from the registration system and chucking it? Sheesh.

Keep longer?

From a 2008 ACR description on AC Spruce

Battery Type: Lithium-5 1/2 year replacement life (11-year useful life)

So, if it is not required equipment, is it OK to go beyond the 5 years and into the 11 year "useful" life?

So, if it is not required equipment, is it OK to go beyond the 5 years and into the 11 year "useful" life?

Good question - although it would really stink if it didn't work properly when one needed it...

Good question - although it would really stink if it didn't work properly when one needed it...

I agree, but the PLB tests itself, so the only issue would be how quickly lithium batteries capacity degrades.

If you keep your PLB in a nce environment in the closet instead of your plane tied down outside I bet it's actual life could be a lot longer than 5 years...:)

Seems like yesterday when I got the super new tech ACR AeroFix 406 PLB. Now the five year batteries are expired.

Best I can tell my options are to ship the unit to an authorized battery replacement facility (closest one seems to be Houston) and pay about $280 plus shipping for the service. ACR says the batteries are not even available to the public, much less that the public should replace them.

or

to buy a brand new ACR unit from Amazon for about $200 that would be smaller and updated.

Am I missing something?

It would seem that there would be no reasonable resale demand for a PLB with expired batteries. ACR gives no instructions but I would presume the thing to do to retire the unit would be to de-register it, take it apart and remove the batteries and dispose of them.

No, you aren't missing something. The explanation of cost includes the cost of the quality battery, tests to ensure its guaranteed life, and pressure checks to make sure the re-assembled unit is as moisture/waterproof as the model is supposed to be. Even still, $130-$200 price range (I read from other's posts) seems very stiff, I can't help but say. Maybe it isn't a scam and everyone is just trying to cover their costs with necesarry equipment etc, but it doesn't change my dissatisfaction with how much hassle and cost a simple battery swap is. Battery and connector technology is too far along for such a batter swapping service to be the only way, in my opinion.

I agree, but the PLB tests itself, so the only issue would be how quickly lithium batteries capacity degrades.

If you keep your PLB in a nce environment in the closet instead of your plane tied down outside I bet it's actual life could be a lot longer than 5 years...:)

The battery does not have an eleven year "USEFUL" life; it has an eleven year "SHELF" life. Once you install a battery in a beacon, current is being drawn when you self test the unit during the first 5 year of operation. There is also a minute current (in the micro amp range) being drained from the battery, in the rest state of beacon.

As far as comments regarding stretching it out based on the theoretical life etc... The point is to have the PLB never below a battery level to provide at least 24 hours of beacon. I must agree with keeping the batteries fresh. Agreeing with that kind of price, on the otherhand, is much much harder. They have models with user-changeable batteries, FYI, such as the Kannad. The batteries I found are still $110, but that as just a brief search and single source. Still, if you are going to fashion your own pack, that one is designed to be water-tight regardless of user access to battery pack.. which is part of the rationalization for the "professional" service battery swapping -- checking seals after installation. I don't know if that helps anyone, but thought I'd mention it.

or

Am I missing something?

No, you aren't missing something. The explanation of cost includes the cost of the quality battery, tests to ensure its guaranteed life, and pressure checks to make sure the re-assembled unit is as moisture/waterproof as the model is supposed to be. Even still, $130-$200 price range (I read from other's posts) seems very stiff, I can't help but say. Maybe it isn't a scam and everyone is just trying to cover their costs with necesarry equipment etc, but it doesn't change my dissatisfaction with how much hassle and cost a simple battery swap is. Battery and connector technology is too far along for such a batter swapping service to be the only way, in my opinion.

The battery does not have an eleven year "USEFUL" life; it has an eleven year "SHELF" life. Once you install a battery in a beacon, current is being drawn when you self test the unit during the first 5 year of operation. There is also a minute current (in the micro amp range) being drained from the battery, in the rest state of beacon.

As far as comments regarding stretching it out based on the theoretical life etc... The point is to have the PLB never below a battery level to provide at least 24 hours of beacon. I must agree with keeping the batteries fresh. Agreeing with that kind of price, on the otherhand, is much much harder. They have models with user-changeable batteries, FYI, such as the Kannad. The batteries I found are still $110 (again, I think outrageously expensive considering how far along "over-the-counter" name brand regular batteries have come, not to mention plenty of other more advanced battery types), but that as just a brief search and single source. Still, if you are going to fashion your own pack on something, that one is designed to be water-tight without "professional" battery swapping... so that might be a safer bet than trying to take apart the ones that aren't supposed to be by folks without test equipment. Admittedly, I don't know if those expensive battery packs have some sort of waterproofing themselves... that is why they are so expensive etc. If they are counting on that, then I suppose soldering your own up on this model is actually worse?!

That probably isn't very useful as is, but might get a curious person in the right direction, who can fill us in on his or her findings...

Last edited:
your comments on the ACR Aerofix 406

Larry
This is Eduardo Iglesias from the Soaring Club of Houston.
I am in the same position that you comment on. So from What I gather the best option is to throw away the unit with the expired battery and just buy a new one for $200?
Seem crazy but just confirm please.
Thanks
Eduardo
N23EJ
RV6

I've let my batteries go a bit beyond the 5 years and it's now time to replace them. Found a link to a youtube video where a fellow takes one apart and replaces the batteries. Seems simple enough to me for anyone who can solder a bit. I'm sure there will be folks out there who question whether "its worth the chance it won't work," but you can do a self-test on most of these units to confirm they are working. Another potential issue is the seals, but unless the rubber is degraded, I don't see why they would leak if replaced and lubricated properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgBEPi0jFU

Greg

PLB available for $255

Pacific coast Avionics sells PLB1 for $250. Made by an ACR subsidiary in England. 1-800-353 0370.
Much smaller than the old PLB. Seven year battery.
Bob N829DZ

Back