What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beginning to come together

60av8tor

Well Known Member
It?s been exactly 2 months since beginning my build. I?ve spent all that time building, prepping, and priming all the pieces for the VS, rudder, HS, and elevators. It was very nice to finally start putting pieces together and see a result of all that effort.

I?m pretty happy with my work as a beginner. I see why people talk about the first piece you build, and always walk to the back end of RVs when they look at them;) I definitely learned a lot in this structure and gained confidence in riveting ? especially bucking, which, to me, really is the more difficult and critical part of riveting. By the end of the piece I was able to feel how I was effecting the shop head with the bar, stop early if I wasn?t remaining square, and make the necessary correction. Initially I was almost solely focused on the gun end ? was worried about it walking all over - but quickly realized I have to focus more on the bucking end. As a testament to that, I have a few spots where I slipped with the bar and made some slight outward dents in the skin.

I initially had some second thoughts as a new builder bucking all of these alone (some very awkward angles/reaches), but I read an old post here by Rick Gray about help vs. going it alone. He made some excellent points about the solo route. I?m very glad I did it all solo ? I learned a ton. I?ve bucked a bunch of practice rivets, but it is difficult to replicate some of the angles/blind bucking that you do when riveting the airplane. Actually, I thought the dings would bother me more than they did. Do I want them, no, but I was glad to get them out of the way ? like the first ding in a new vehicle. I?ve had other builders tell me how they miss the metal work when they?re at the 90% done, 90% to go phase, so a few years from now, I may redo the entire VS ? very few parts to prep. This one could serve as a nice conversation piece on the wall of my man cave. We?ll see.

I?m very happy with the way the C-frame dimples turned out. Now that I think about it, I mentioned reading a post by Rick Gray ? my C-frame was purchased second hand from Rick:
DSC_2608.jpg

At the end of the day, I had a vertical stabilizer:D
DSC_2609.jpg

Looks like you're off to a great start. Only 23,850 more rivets to go...OK, I made that up, but there's a bunch. Make sure to practice drilling a few out too, because sooner or later, you know. My finish kit should be arriving in a couple of weeks - if you want to see an example of one at that stage of the build, come on down to Hahira anytime.

==dave==

Looks like you're off to a great start. Only 23,850 more rivets to go...OK, I made that up, but there's a bunch. Make sure to practice drilling a few out too, because sooner or later, you know. My finish kit should be arriving in a couple of weeks - if you want to see an example of one at that stage of the build, come on down to Hahira anytime.

==dave==

I really appreciate the offer, Dave. Drilling out was actually the first thing I began practicing - and it was put to good use just last night on one of the spar attachment brackets ;)
DSC_2626.jpg

Jon,

Not knowing what primer you're using, my next comment may be incorrect. It appears that you may be putting on too much primer. Most of the primers are intended to be somewhat transparent when applied correctly. If you apply until the color looks solid, it's applied too heavy.

It can easily add 20+ lbs to the build. Just ask me how I know.... :eek:

bob

Thanks, Bob. Yes, your right - especially the brackets. I lightened the application a bit, honestly, I probably still error on the heavy side. I've probably used about 40 oz for the emp (- tail cone) including skins. I'm using Akzo, BTW. I believe I read it on here, and it is true...it shoots so nicely it is easy to get it too heavy. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks, Bob. Yes, your right - especially the brackets. I lightened the application a bit, honestly, I probably still error on the heavy side. I've probably used about 40 oz for the emp (- tail cone) including skins. I'm using Akzo, BTW. I believe I read it on here, and it is true...it shoots so nicely it is easy to get it too heavy. Thanks for the tip.

I used AKZO too. You just want to mist it on, otherwise you'll gain some weight like I did. I didn't learn this until I was about three quarters done with my project.

With the wife visiting her family for Easter and the SE going through a monsoon, I was able to pound away all day today :D
2b663c53a34d12a96f2c039bcd08cfdc.jpg

Fun to start seeing things that actually resemble airplane parts
f59f161da7d874a83712a2990e53d4de.jpg

Hi Jon,
Congrats on your progress!
If I may, looking at your pics I'd like to offer you a couple of my best tips:
1- Getting some skin under the bucking bar. This will let you use your eyeballs where they are really needed.
2- Rivet tool sequence.
I'm thinking you have my number but if not slip me a message and I'll give it you.
Also, I'd love to have my C-Frame back as I miss it dearly. I have a nice yellow one that I'll trade even steven :D. Worst case is I have dibs on it once you're done :rolleyes:.
Keep up the good work :).

Thanks for the tips, Rick. I understand #1. I'll have to call about #2. I will take any advice folks are willing to offer. I usually follow your #1, and, in fact, did the first several rivets that way with a small bar - didn't turn out so well in this instance. The method shown produced a whole spar full of excellent shop heads. PM sent.

Back