What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 N218HM First Flight(s)

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Since I have not one poetic bone in my body, I'll just give you the facts....after nearly five years and nine months of building, N218HM has finally taken flight. First flight was yesterday morning around 8:00am out of Fort Worth Meacham in the capable hands of Roy Geer....thank you Roy. He was nice enough to fly the airplane for 20+ minutes and reported no discrepancies afterwards. Wanted to thank my dad, whom I could not have started OR finished this project without his help. Also have to thank my wife for the help and putting up with my madness over the past few years.

After working up my nerves and waiting for the winds and temperature to be within my comfort zone, I decided to fly her myself at 7:00 last evening. About 30 minutes in duration. Orbited the airport on the west-side to get a feeling for the plane and headed north for just a few minutes. First landing attempt had a few small bounces and I didn?t see it getting better, so went around for another shot. 2nd landing wasn?t perfect, but it got the job done. For the record, not only was this my first flight in the front seat of a RV-8, it was actually my first SOLO in a tail-dragger. To say the least, I was a bit nervous. Overall, an amazing experience and I can?t wait to get out there again.

Airplane was a standard build kit, has a Barrett (Superior) IO-360X, Catto 3-blade, VP-X, Dynon Skyview, GNC-250XL, Becker comm, Mike Cingari bent stick, etc, etc....

HD YouTube video for anyone interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfc79BWcNo

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

..after nearly five years and nine months of building, N218HM has finally taken flight.

Jeff, congratulations on the fledgling:D

Seems to be a bit of a epidemic of new flights lately.

Enjoy the "fazeone"

Congratulations!!

Jeff,
That is awesome! I have been wondering how you were doing. Looks like you've been busy! Great job on this awesome accomplishment! Enjoy phase 1!

Jeff!!!!

Congratulations my friend!!!!! You and I have come quite a ways airplane-wise since racing Quickie 500 r/c against each other back in the early 90's, huh? :D

Very, very happy for you!!!!

br,
dr

Update: I actually found a picture!!! Jeff marked with yellow point on left - me on right. I wonder what we would have thought had one of us said to the other, "In twenty years we'll both have RVs." The next logical step is for us to race, I'm guessing! And you'll probably beat me now, also.
http://i50.tinypic.com/29qbj4i.jpg
29qbj4i.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats!!!

Nice job Jeff. Take it slow and enjoy the ride. Your life has changed forever!!

Good job, Jeff!! I was listening to Addison via LiveATC.net earlier that day. I'll be listening for "experimental hotel mike" from now on... ;)

That's great!

Jeff!!!!

Congratulations my friend!!!!! You and I have come quite a ways airplane-wise since racing Quickie 500 r/c against each other back in the early 90's, huh? :D

br,
dr

Update: I actually found a picture!!! Jeff marked with yellow point on left - me on right. I wonder what we would have thought had one of us said to the other, "In twenty years we'll both have RVs." The next logical step is for us to race, I'm guessing! And you'll probably beat me now, also.
29qbj4i.jpg

HaHa! That's awesome you still have that picture! I remember it fondly whenever I look at the plaque that still hangs in my Shrine To All Things Aviation (aka the spare bedroom)! Thanks for helping build such a great community, Doug. I'm happy to say that I'm a part of it now....

img1209wx.jpg

HEY! YOU GUYS GOT RACING BLOOD?

We have three or four more races in Texas later this year. My guess is you would be in the RV Blue class. www.sportairrace.org then click on Calendar of Events.

Bob Axsom

P.S. I sensed a little poetic influence.

Congratulations

Jeff,

It looked really good. You did a good job building. I wish you many years of fun filled time flying your 8!!

Jeff!!!!

br,
dr

29qbj4i.jpg

We are still racing Quickie 500 here in Kansas City on a computer based light system and a full compliment of workers.

Put a Quickie in the back of the -8 and come race!

Congrats on completing the plane.

Great job Jeff, even the first landing looked great, but it is nice to know when to go around. Awesome video of your first flight, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the entire ride.:)

Jim

Congratulations.

I've never seen a headset like that (probably because I haven't flown since 1998). What brand/model is it?

Back