What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV Takes To The Sky!!!

float208

Well Known Member
This past Friday Greg Cameron's 11 year RV-7A project saw some wind under its wings for the first time!!! Aside from the normal heat issues, the flight was flawless. Its powered by an ECi-IO-360, and Whirlwind RV-200 Prop. Behind the Panel is a VP-X, AFS 5600, GTN-650 and GPS-696. Waiting on the ever delayed TruTrak Gemini series to replace the DGII. Congratulations Greg!!!

DSC_7560Webs.jpg

DSC_7493Webs.jpg

DSC_7507Web.jpg

DSC_7438.jpg

Last edited:
nice looking plane. I like the cowl and spinner.

Then again I'm kinda bias when it comes to yellow RV's;)

Nice RV7

That is a sharp paint scheme.

The panel is very nice.

What is the reason for the box separating occupants legs?? Large holes/ weight- but what is it for???

Nice plane.

RV-7A

That box holds the batteries, its all the way up at the firewall, but looks closer in the photo.

Chris

Gorgeous airplane - panel is really sharp too.

The pilot and co-pilot sticks look different...is that the angle of the photo or is one bent?

Congratulations!

Very nice

Love the paint, it looks very .......modern! Where did you get your chrome spinner? Congratulations Chris!

RV-7A

The Carbon fiber panel I built for Greg myself, but you can buy pre-made sheets in various thicknesses from several vendors with an easy search on the internet. It was labeled with a dry-ink printer and cleared to protect. If you choose to do this, I suggest using the aluminum panel for strength, and just a thin sheet of Carbon Fiber to cover it. (save some $$$, get the look) I also did a carbon fiber wrap down the sides of the cabin wall where the canopy rails attach bringing the look from the panel all the way around the cockpit. Tied it all in nicely.

The "Chrome" spinner is actually paint. Greg saw a blue Mustang at Oshkosh last year painted for the Blue Angles buy a company that used a process called "Spectrachrome" The company painted the spinner and it really looks like chrome. They are out of the LA area, at least the one he used, there may be more locations around.

Gorgeous

One of the most stunning and gorgeous paint jobs I have seen. Beautiful.

Pat Garboden
N942PT (reserved)
RV9A

A little more info

Someone asked if this was Stellar Air Park. Yes it is, P19.

The owner of the plane Greg Cameron, gave me my introduction to the RV planes. I had moved into my new home in Stellar and got a call from Greg, whose house was under construction a few doors down. He asked if I had room to store his RV 7 project while his house was being built. I said, "sure as long as I can help work on it." We did a lot of work together and I learned a lot. I had purchased a Compair 7 project and quickly learned I wanted an RV.

I got a 7 project in July of 2003 and started in. Greg and I both had some set backs in the process. For some unknown reason we decided to purchase Subaru packages from an unscrupulous dealer in Canada. That set us back both financially and emotionally. Greg still has that Subaru package if anyone is interested:eek: To add further insult to injury, Greg had purchased a full suite of Blue Mountain avionics early in the project. OUCH!!!

Greg is an Air Traffic Controller and was getting burdened with 6 day work weeks and little time to work on his project. Although well along, the panel needed rebuild because of the BMA stuff and some other issues. We joked that Van's would have a flying saucer kit out before he finished his 7.:D Finally we convinced Greg to have Master Builder, Chris Sands finish it for him.

Chris did his usually intense quality work including a new panel rebuild, finishing of the canopy, glass work wrap up and engine detail and a multitude of other items as well. Chris and I are next door neighbors. I've learned a lot from his building skills. Bottom line, he gets stuff done!!!

The paint was done by Rob Drew of Drew Brothers Customs located about 5 miles from Stellar. He got into painting airplanes a few years ago. Although his background is in custom car and cycles he is a pilot himself and understands the importance of painting light. Rob has painted 3 7's, a 10, an 8, 12 and a Lancair IV-P Turbine. A couple of others will be in the works shortly. He is available for hire but the only caveat is the plane has to be in pieces. This could be accomplished by flying into Stellar and hiring Chris to assist in disassembly and transport to Rob's place. His attention to detail are remarkable. Also, you won't feel a paint line on anything he does!!!

The spinner was done with the Spectra Chrome process. For those who saw the Blue Angels Ford Mustang at Oshkosh last year, that is process used. In fact, that car was at the shop a couple of weeks ago in Valencia CA when he dropped off the spinner.

The colors in the picture do not do the plane justice. The Yellow is a pearl that is beautiful and visible. We joked it should have included a volume control. The white is pearl as well. The combination of grays are a perfect compliment.

Look for this incredible plane at Oshkosh this Summer.

Greg does not frequent the Forums but between Chris and I we can answer any other questions about this project.

Thanks for the kind words Darwin. I was once again impressed with the work Chris did on this plane and am very pleased with the result. I really hope Greg likes it as much as I do.

Back