What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Guidance for Future DFW RViator

croner15

Ok, here goes my first VAF post. I'm 30, married (no kids planned) and just about to get started on my PPL. After that I want a plane of my own to travel in and out of the DFW area. I look forward to building almost as much as I do flying.

My perception is (and y'all can correct me if I'm off base) is that the RV-12 and the RV-14 are in a class of their own when it comes to build-ability. In my case, I've built an addition on the house and do my own car maintenance, but never anything to the level of what an RV would require.

Honestly, the RV-9 would probably fit my mission the best (low-time pilot, cross countries of varying distance, carrying some clothes to change into, no desire for aerobatics). However, most of the posts I read about those completing the 9 start with, "after 5 years and 2,000 hours..." I really look forward to building and will truly enjoy the process, but I'm not sure if that feeling will sustain itself over 5 years; at some point I do want to fly the thing and my wife will want our garage back.

Obviously, this could be where the QB kit for the 9 comes in, but then you're probably in the price range of the 14 (though I'll believe the $90K price estimate when the remaining kits are out and I see the 390 pricing from Vans). I read what started to be a good discussion on the 9 vs. 14, but it veered into more of a 320 vs. 390 debate.

So my dilemma, oddly enough, is probably 12 vs. 14 as they seem to be the only kits that may earn the tagline after I'm done of "so easy, even a lawyer can build it :D" One seems like too much plane (though if I had $90K laying around I'd build it in a heartbeat), another not enough (not as suitable for cross countries since not many fields have MOGas that the Rotax prefers); and the price spread between the two is probably about $25-30K.

I know I have a few steps ahead of me before I enter the RV world, but I would love to start building one early on in my flying career. I have no illusions about building being cheaper than renting, but my logic is that every rental dollar spent could have gone into my own flying machine that I could happily build and then fly for the next 20 years.

So I guess my questions are two-fold. 1) when it comes to ease and time to complete are the 12 and 14 really in a class to themselves (such that they are really the only realistic options for a first-time builder who works full-time can get it done in a reasonable time and still have a social life!)? and 2) where/who are some resources I can connect with in the DFW area as I start down this path?

I know I don't fit at least what I perceive to be the normal demographic for an RV builder. However, some guidance and wisdom is appreciated from all who can identify with where I'm at and help this dream become a reality at some point soon.

Thanks,

Phil

Welcome to VAF!

Ok, here goes my first VAF post.
Phil

Phil,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Good to have you aboard.:D

Welcome Phil

Nice to have you here Phil. My advice is as soon as you reach DFW (if I read it right) go visit Jay Pratt RV Central. Majority of your questions will be answered right there. Start building NOW get ppl later.

I'm in a similar situation. I am also looking at starting to get my PPL but after talking to someone, I'm seriously considering building my RV-12 first, getting the hours flown off and then training in my own plane. I have talked to an experienced pilot with time in many RV's and he agreed to fly off time for me so that would definitely help me out since I wouldn't have to rent a plane and instructor, just an instructor. That and I like the idea of training in my own plane......

Thanks Vlad. To clarify, I'm in the DFW area presently - live in Frisco to be specific.

That's an interesting take on this, ghostrider. Maybe I have the cart before the horse. Build first, then save money on training. In the case of the 12, that opens up option of going with the sport pilot's license or all the way to the PPL (though I probably prefer the PPL's comprehensive training since it includes enough IFR to teach you how to get out of a jam).

Anyone else build first and then train in their plane? Also, still interested in thoughts on my other questions. Will make it a point to see Jay Pratt at Hicks Field - only about an hour away from me.

I have also considered setting up my -12 up as a GPS IFR plane so both of my kids can train for PPL and I will only have to pay for the instructor for them too.

I realize that the -12 in not what most people would use to learn GPS IFR but the -12 has so many other benefits that it's hard for me to overlook as a GPS IFR plane. It's definitely not the fastest RV or the sportiest RV but the cost of ownership, fuel and maintenance over 20 to 40 years is so much less than some of the others.

If the primary question is 12 vs. 14, you need to better define your mission. If you just want to go fly, and don't care where (or how far), the 12 is a great option. If you really want to travel far and fast, then the 14 is going to be a lot better suited to the mision.

If it is "ease of construction" of the new kits vs the old, you need to understand that building ANY airplane is going to be a way of life for awhile - not just a hobby. It will, at times, totally consume you. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I would venture to say that most RV builders are first-time aircraft builders. If you are committed, you'll get it done.

Since you're still in the exploratory phase, drop in at 52F (Northwest Regional) and visit with the RV'ers on the field - HQ of VAF.

Welcome - and good luck!

Paul

Last edited:
We would primarily be interested in short hops around the Southern Plains, but occasionally heading out to visit family in Indiana and Virginia once or twice a year.

I didn't think the 12 could be used for IFR since the Rotax was not qualified for use in that sort of flying. I may be wrong on that as I just am now learning enough to be dangerous.

I think the 12 could be the ticket as I get started and then later on upgrade to the 14 if/when I develop the itch to build again. Looks like the resale market is pretty strong for the 12 since it is attractive to pilots who lose their medical. I know you won't get rich building and selling, but at least you are building something that is, and will remain, worth something.

Regardless of what I decide on, I know that the support from the VAF will play a big part in helping me get the job done.

Jay Pratt

Call Jay @ RV Central to make sure he's in town and can meet with you. He's good people, and like you say, it's only an hour from Frisco.

If you are ever in the south Arlington area, let me know. You can check out my RV-12. It's still at home for now, but will be making its way to the Arlington airport (also in south Arlington) in a few months.

However: be warned ahead of time.....I hope you have a fax machine at home. Because after you leave Jay's, you'll be faxing off an order form to Van's that same evening. Truth!!!! :D

What's a fax machine? I think I saw one once in a movie...j/k

Seriously though, would love to see one under construction to get a first hand look at the work involved.

I didn't think the 12 could be used for IFR since the Rotax was not qualified for use in that sort of flying.

As far as I know, if you build it as an EAB then you can use it for an IFR flying or IFR training plane as long as you have the correct instrumentation that is required for IFR flight.

Maybe Mel or another more knowledgeable individual can shed some light on this......

Nice to have you here Phil. My advice is as soon as you reach DFW (if I read it right) go visit Jay Pratt RV Central. Majority of your questions will be answered right there. Start building NOW get ppl later.

+1 on what Vlad and Paul (and Jay when you get over to RV Central).

Listen closely to them (LOTS of experience between them) because mission is REALLY important. Different airplanes better fit specific missions.

My Taylorcraft is a great airplane for pancake breakfasts and short lunch hops. I have even flown it from Cleveland, Ohio to Venice, Fl several times. At those times, it was still a great airplane but you really have to want to be in a slower airplane for a long time to get that kind of mission done. (1000 miles, 12 hrs in a day). I now cover that same distance in my RV-6 in around 5 hours depending on winds)

Welcome aboard Phil.

Last edited:
Even though the 14 kit has a lot of time-saving improvements, I think there is still a very large gap between build times for the 12 and 14. For the -12 Vans estimates 700-900 build hours, as opposed to what I would guess is at least 1500 hours for the 14. Knowing that and your mission, I wouldn't rule out a -9 (okay, or a 7, before somebody jumps in). Would be in the middle of the price scale between a 12 and 14, depending on how you outfit it, and be great for local flying and the occasional longer XC. Could save you some gas money too. Or like you said you could take the savings between a -14 and -9/7 and go the QB route and be flying a very capable plane, sooner, if the 5-year plan isn't that appealing...

You can't go wrong though, really.

Chris

Since you are new to GA I suggest you call an insurance broker experienced in experimental aircraft (I use Nationair) and have a talk. Ask them how much more it will cost if you have zero hours to start, and train in your aircraft.

First, go see Jay Pratt.
Second, build the airplane then get your PPL. If you get the PPL first one of two things will happen, you will spend your build time and money flying and not building or your will spend it building. Get your PPL when your airplane is finished.

As far as build time the 12 will be first, the 9 second and the 14 third. Based on your post I would seriously reconsider the 9.

Pat

Since you are new to GA I suggest you call an insurance broker experienced in experimental aircraft (I use Nationair) and have a talk. Ask them how much more it will cost if you have zero hours to start, and train in your aircraft.

Very good thing to consider....I'm sure the premium would probably negate the rental cost saved by training in it; and then some perhaps.

Vans claims about 1,100 hours for the 14, but it will be interesting to see what the finish times people start clocking in by the end of next year. I'm assuming there will be a QB kit for the 14 that will cut build time down in the 12's range for those who can fork out the cash.

Very intrigued by the 9 (better for a low-time pilot who doesn't want to be upside down intentionally or unintentionally) - appears to be made for my "mission."

I just wonder if the 9 is THAT much harder to build than the 12 or 14? Are those planes really in a class by themselves in that regard? In other words, are there certain builders that would be able to successfully complete the 12 or 14 that wouldn't find the same success with prior models?

What, other than better plans and more pictures (rivets on the 12), wiring harnesses and canopies that fit makes the 12 and 14 easier projects? Holes are still matched, deburring is still needed; so is it the aforementioned that saves a few hundred hours?

Again, would love to see one of these models under construction in the DFW area even if it means donating some pro-bono building assistant hours.

I just wonder if the 9 is THAT much harder to build than the 12 or 14? Are those planes really in a class by themselves in that regard? In other words, are there certain builders that would be able to successfully complete the 12 or 14 that wouldn't find the same success with prior models?

Almost certainly the answer is no, as far as ability. It is just a matter of time.

Phil,
you cant go wrong talking to Jay, or Walt Aronow at 52F. Also-=talk to Alex about transition training.
Tom

Like Ironflight says, you need to better define your mission. There is quite a bit of difference between building a 12 and a 14, time and money. If the Rotax turns you off, there are several other options for power.

Join your local eaa chapter

Phil - I'm going to add something I haven't seen yet... Join your local EAA chapter. Chapter 1246 is based in McKinney and chapter 168 meets in Farmer's Branch. Both are good EAA chapters and both have many RV's and RV builders in them. You can get rides and talk to owners/builders about their mission and a question I always like to ask "if you knew then what you know now..." VAF is a good resource for help, but living in the DFW area, you have access to real live people that have built and/or inspected A LOT of RV's that can come over to help/assist/inspect your project. That kind of help is priceless if you've never gone down this road before. Also as a new pilot, it's a great way to meet other active pilots and start to get a feel for how to use a pilot's license.

I will second (third, forth, ???) Jay Pratt as a good resource as well. He helped me finish my -7A and the experience I got working with him was great.

One last thing... I have my IFR -7A at Aero Country (T31) so not far from you. I started building when I was 29 and single and finished when I was 32 and married. I already had my PPL and was confident in my mission specs. Since first flight about 3.5 years ago, I have almost 600 hours on it. I've flown it all over the US plus 2 trips to the Caribbean, so I can definitely talk to you about missions! Have you been up in an RV yet? If no, we need to get that crossed off the list first! We can do the ol' "two bird" trick... We can fly over to hicks and visit Jay.

You can PM me here and I'll get you my personal email address.

Dave

Build to Fly Group

A couple of us in our Arlington, TX EAA group have discussed doing the same thing.
We've thought of building the RV-12 in 12 months and then using it for personal flight training.
We are a lot older than you are, so even though the RV-7A is my favorite, the RV-12 makes the most sense for our needs.
So far, group building due to jobs, locations, money, time, etc hasn't made it practical or possible.
At the moment, I have more of a desire to fly than build, and would need people with a major passion to build to get it done.
Perhaps all of us with the same dream could meet early one Saturday morning at Northwest Regional 52F and talk to all the experts there.
Anyone interested?

You should spend a Saturday wondering around Northwest Regional (52F) plenty of RV's on the field and plenty of builders to talk to.
A pilot in my hangar got his PPL in a 6a the only aircraft he has even flown. The CFI he use is based at Hidden Valley not far from you. What you want to do is very doable just make sure you take time to determine what model is best for you not the first year of flying but after you have 500 hours.

Gosh guys, hearing all those airport names and people names was great! I lived in Plano for about 6 years, loved hanging out at TKI and an occasional drive over to 52F.

You're in the middle of RV land!

The 9 is a great airplane. It's not as simple to build as a 12 nor as fast a build. While I never got beyond my 9 emp (life got in the way - it's really not that slow) I'm almost done with my 12 talicone/emp kit. I bought my kit in December, stalled waiting for the weather to warm up and the winds to die down so I could primer the parts. I didn't really get going until the end of April (off and on) and then got in gear about the end of May. I should finish the last of the emp/tailcone kit in the next week or so. The wing, fuse & finish kits will ship the end of this month and I (like everyone else :D) should be flying next year.

There's a huge difference in the time it takes, for pull rivets versus 'the pounded' kind (although those bucketed rivets can be beautiful). The parts count is lower on the 12 than the 9, if the emp is any indication. While I do still have some head scratching to do on the 12, it's mostly because I'm thin on top and not much to do with the kit.

The 12 is still evolving and I think I'm going to love it. All in all, it has about the same cruise speed as a Cessna 172, so while the 9 and 14 are definitely faster, its all relative. I do plan on doing some traveling in mine and yes it will take longer than if I did it in a 9.

I'm truly grateful that I don't have to figure out how to install the engine or avionics. The idea that I can (and my wife, father-in-law, neighbor, etc.) take a 16 hour class and all of us can work on/sign off inspections that I/we feel comfortable with is a huge plus for me.

Take a ride in both a 9/7 and a 12 if you can.

In terms of training you may want to consider renting versus doing it in your own aircraft. Sometimes - I've seen others do some pretty hard stuff to a plane - not me of course, but I did read about it in a book...a few times.... :eek:

Welcome to the family!

Bob

It's generally cheaper to get your PPL in your own airplane than in a rental, so you're on the right track there. Some instructors, the more independent ones, might cut you a deal of free instruction in exchange for the use of your plane by them for their own use. If it's their own personal use, then there won't be an insurance hit. But if they want to use it for instruction for other people, there certainly will be, so that's much less desirable.

If you can buy an airplane, you can get started flying comparatively soon. You don't have to buy an RV to learn in, although it would be fun and you certainly could. What I'm thinking is that there's going to be two rather major life changes and they don't need to be related. One is becoming a pilot and flying places. The other is building an airplane.

If you buy something flyable - anything - and learn to fly in it, and then fly it for a while, you'll be much better able to decide what airplane you'd like to build. And that beats the heck out of building an airplane that is the wrong kind of airplane for you, but you didn't know that when you started it.

I made that mistake and wasted too many years.... now a wiser man.

Dave

(1) It's generally cheaper to get your PPL in your own airplane than in a rental, so you're on the right track there. (2) Some instructors, the more independent ones, might cut you a deal of free instruction in exchange for the use of your plane by them for their own use. If it's their own personal use, then there won't be an insurance hit. (3) But if they want to use it for instruction for other people, there certainly will be, so that's much less desirable.

(1) maybe, maybe not. Your RV just cannot take the abuse that, say, a 152 was designed to take. Your cfi will have to help out more, or more go arounds, than if you were in a 152. Time is money. Hard to quantify the abuse your RV will suffer while you learn.

(2) This is, of course, blatently illegal. You may not receive compensation for the use of an E-AB.

(3) This requires a LODA, which are getting easier and easier to get. But the market is limited to transition training only, and insurance is expensive.

I will echo everyone's comments a little:

* Go see Jay Pratt. Jay has lots of experience, knows the trouble spots and has a good network of people who can help with specific tasks. That said, Jay is most familiar with the -8 and will tell you plenty of good reasons why you should build one :)

* Go hang with the RV crowd at NW Regional and Hicks. Lots of different RVs there, people with different paths to building and flying.

* You really need to define your mission, but you can't really do that until you fly, so ...

MY suggestion is that you get your PPL and fly a few different airframes before you decide what to build. The -12 will fly like a lot of the LSAs, so maybe try and get some time in an Evektor or the like. The -14? Not sure what you can use to simulate it, SR22 is the closest thing I can think of, although that's not a good low time airplane (get instruction). Visit the factory, see how kits are made, ask questions, and demo a -14 (or a -12, or weasel a way into both).

I'd suggest you look at the DA20 for primary instruction because its a bit like a simple RV like the -12: Bubble canopy, simple engine (the IO-240 in the DA40 has altitude compensation IIRC, so the mixture is set and forget), stick control (my logbook's stick to yoke ratio is over 100:1, yes, I like the stick) ...

But most importantly, the DA20 is STOUT. You are not likely to damage it as a student, but I recommend renters insurance too. I've seen PP students drop the things in from 5' on landings and the airplane just takes it all in stride ... try that in an RV and you might be going back to the shop for quite a while. And the DA20 doesn't suck like a 35 year old 150. No offense, they're fine airplanes and all, but there's been a little evolution since the 1950s.

Fly first also allows you to figure out what kind of flying you like. 45 min flights after work? Flying to Big Bend for the weekend? Aerobatics? You might find out that you don't want to build, and unless you are ready to commit the time and resources, building isn't for you. Lots of people buy flying RVs.

Just my $0.02.

TODR

(1) maybe, maybe not. Your RV just cannot take the abuse that, say, a 152 was designed to take. Your cfi will have to help out more, or more go arounds, than if you were in a 152. Time is money. Hard to quantify the abuse your RV will suffer while you learn.

(2) This is, of course, blatently illegal. You may not receive compensation for the use of an E-AB.

(3) This requires a LODA, which are getting easier and easier to get. But the market is limited to transition training only, and insurance is expensive.

Bob is assuming the use of an EAB aircraft, and is of course correct with that limitation. With a certified aircraft for training in, you can legally make these arrangements.

Point is, don't arbitrarily limit yourself to either an RV or a homebuilt. Choose an aircraft for the mission. If it's an RV, you'll have a blast, but that's not the only option.

Dave

RE: Mission

Another thing to consider is who you will be flying with. You may not know that yet, but consider the speed range of the other guys. I fly with a bunch that flys Zenairs, Rans, and Kitfox. My RV-9A is perfectly happy flying at 100-110mph going to breakfast/lunch around the state. If I want to get somewhere I can throttle up and be at "RV" speed. Best of both worlds....

What Vlad said

Start building NOW get ppl later.

That's exactly what I am doing.

I started in mid 2007 by building a workshop (using a book called "How to Build A Shed") and I now have 2835 clocked up on the plane itself. Don't let that figure scare you. It is a slow-build but I could have built it simpler and faster. However, I love enjoy researching and incorporating mods (screwless spinner at the moment) I still love it as much as I did 6 years ago. I don't have any technical qualification.

I get to fly occasionally with my RV pals and I look forward to taking my PPL, probably as an intensive course in one of the JAA/EASA schools in Florida.
Training to fly now would take money and momentum from the project, both to get the PPl and to maintain it (the temptation to rent would be too much). Momentum is the key to getting it done. Guard it carefully.

I can see the finishing line clearly now so I believe I can say that it can be done!

Fly Now

See post 21, and 25 above, and come over to see me at RVCentral with Dave Buono in his RV7a.

All good advice, I think flying is flying. If you want to Fly, get a plane and get started. You need to define your mission. You wont know what it is till you have flown a year or so.
I am back from Oshkosh and there is lots of RV work going on here. Happy to show you around the projects.

Last edited:

I think the big advantage the 14 has over the 9 is that, like the 12, the kit will be complete - ie. engine, avionics and wiring harnesses. Don't underestimate the time saving value of those off-the-shelf integrated components and the detailed 3-D plans. The additional advantage the -12 has is that it's a one-person project - you don't need a helper to buck rivets. The 14 will be more expensive than the 9 because it has a bigger engine and you are paying for a complete kit. However, I don't think the cost difference between the two, when similarly configured, would be very great and the build time will certainly be less. The final choice will depend on your budget and mission. Mine is mainly local flying with the occasional long distance (2,000m) cross-country. The 9 or 14 would be better for that, but the 12 is perfectly OK and considerably cheaper to build. Don't believe Van's figures for build time. If you are a typical first time builder add 25%. If you plan to prime, add another 25%.

Wow, I really appreciate all of the great advice I'm seeing on here. It almost begs another post regarding who built before they earned their PPL. I know my goal is to build just as much as it is to fly, but y'all are correct that I need to fly in order to clearly define the mission and that defining the mission will determine what I want to build.

ADS is about 15 mins away and has some great training options such as US Sport Aircraft's fleet of Sportcruisers and Lone Star Flyers rents a DA20. I'll need to wait for if/when it cools off around here to start on the PPL.

In the meantime, I'm going to learn as much as I can so a few of you may see a PM from me soon. Again, I'm very grateful for the resources I'm finding on here; among other things, they will lead to an informed decision.

Don't forget...while you're waiting for the hot Texas summers to cool off there's always getting your 'written' out of the way...

Bob

I'm seriously considering building my RV-12 first, getting the hours flown off and then training in my own plane.

I may be in the minority here but as someone who finished PPL about a year ago, I'm glad those first 50 landings were on someone else's plane. Not saying do it first, just saying do it in a rented Cessna.

If you plan to prime, add another 25%.

Huh? Average build time for a slow build is 2000+ hours. I've primed every part of my slow build -9A and have probably only added 100 hours at most.
I can't imagine it being anywhere near 25%.

I'm coming up on 4 years since I started on my slow build -9A and am getting really close to finishing. There was no -12 or -14 when I started so I didn't consider those options. I must say that the -9A has been very easy to build. There is plenty of help and support here on VAF for all of those questions that will arise. Yes, it can take considerable time and if you went quick build you could easily shave off 1.5 years (fuselage and wings). If you stick to what Van's offers for the standard engine and firewall forward kit and then put in a simple panel, you can get flying pretty quick.

It took me a year to get my PPL (back in 1988-89) when I was fresh out of grad school, unmarried and no kids. Sooner you start the sooner you finish!

Huh? Average build time for a slow build is 2000+ hours. I've primed every part of my slow build -9A and have probably only added 100 hours at most.
I can't imagine it being anywhere near 25%.

Fair point. I had the RV-12 in mind and Vans estimate of 800 or so hours average build time. I would easily have spent a couple of hundred hours or more prepping and priming mine, but maybe I'm slow. Priming a 9 wouldn't take any longer than a 12 as they're about the same size. My main point was that I think Van's estimate of build times are on the optimistic side for a typical first time builder, but you could do a second one much faster.

Check out already-started kits

That's what I did - I bought a -6 that was well past quick-build stage, and got into it for a very good price. One thing you will need to do in that case is to enlist the help of someone who is intimately familiar with RVs to advise you as to whether or not a particular bird is a good bet. Workmanship is critical in buying a project.
Another thought - the C-150, although an old design is an excellent airplane to learn in, and can usually be obtained for less than you might think - I have seen excellent 150s go for 12-17K. The O-200 is also an economical engine to operate. When you have your license and are ready to get into the build, you can sell the airplane when you are ready.
Cheap advice, and worth every penny you paid for it!

Phil,
Your not alone in making a decision of what to build. Most all of us here on the board have pondered the same question. Yes they all take time. I have heard of RV's beside the 12 being completed in less than 2 years. I started my 7 on January 2011 and nearly have mine done. But I was fortunate to have a three car garage which helped and I told my wife her new car was going to sit outside for a couple of years....
When I had days I could devote to it I spent 16 hours or more working on it and every evening after work for 5 or 6 hours.
I am 62 and would not build again but I learned a lot, took a lot of pleasure knowing this section was done and had a lot of milestones like sitting in the completed fuselage making motor noises or when I got the avionics installed just listening to ATC on the radio with a speaker plugged into the phone jack and thinking how great it would be when this is flying and the places My wife and I would enjoy going to..
I fly for a living, but I don't get to choose who or where I fly. I have always wanted my own plane but due to events in my life never had the funds or the time to donate to a project like this.
An RV 12 is a great plane. It can go cross country and it will surely beat driving.
I flew a slow Tri-Pacer to Oshkosh last year and even at 110 mph it only took 7 hrs which surely beat the 23 by driving. This was my wife's first trip in a small plane and she loved it. We made 3 stops going. But when we got passed by an RV which made us look like we were going backwards she looked at me and said," Now I understand why you wanted an RV..

Dream on.... You'll love it and you can fly a lot of places VFR.

Smilin' Jack

Thanks all, based on all the input, my plan is to...

1. Go see Jay Pratt
2. Meet as many RVers in the DFW area that I can and help out with some projects when possible
3. Get the PPL and rent for the first 100 hours or so in order to define the mission.
4. With the mission defined (and the wife's permission :) ) - build the dream, whatever RV fits that dream

Great Saturday Morning with Jay Pratt

As many of you suggested to Croner15...
We had a mini Vansairforce.com meeting with Croner15, DBone, Stre176, Texas Flyer, and our token Canadian, Geoff, as we met at the Beacon Cafe at Hicks Field at 8:30 this morning with RV Guru, Jay Pratt.
We only got to hear a few stories of his days as the Captain of a 50 ft sailboat and his adventures on the islands. He should write a book.
Breakfast at the Beacon Cafe was great and very inexpensive at $4.99 for the early crowd.
Jay was a gracious host and showed us his hangar with all the RV's he is working on. He really gave us a great tour and showed us what to look for and provided great building tips...he's The Man!
Dbone is a giving sort of guy and flew Croner15 from Frisco to Hicks Field for his first RV7-A flight.
It was a great morning with Jay...The Man, the Myth, the Legend....

Howdy

Croner15

I am stepping in toward the end of the post but I?ll agree to most everything that has been said. I would try to push you in the RV-9 direction for obvious reasons.

I would also add that I live about 10 miles west of Frisco and I am slowly finishing up my plane. I currently have the engine mounted and wings on. I have to install the instrument panel and canopy to have a flying airplane. I?d be happy to show you around my plane some evening. You can PM or email me.

Also I am a member of EAA 1246 and I?d be happy to meet you at the next meeting.

Also welcome?

What a great Saturday AM

Wow, what a great Saturday AM. Highlights were summed up above, but I want to add special thanks to Jay for showing us all around and especially to Dave for generously opening up his hanger to give me a proper introduction to the RV world! Admittedly had the RV grin as soon as the wheels left the runway at Aero Country.

Looking forward to getting involved in the EAA chapter and learning plenty more from those who have been there and done that.

Croner15

I am stepping in toward the end of the post but I?ll agree to most everything that has been said. I would try to push you in the RV-9 direction for obvious reasons.

I would also add that I live about 10 miles west of Frisco and I am slowly finishing up my plane. I currently have the engine mounted and wings on. I have to install the instrument panel and canopy to have a flying airplane. I?d be happy to show you around my plane some evening. You can PM or email me.

Also I am a member of EAA 1246 and I?d be happy to meet you at the next meeting.

Also welcome?

Thanks Dean, I sent you a PM with my email address.

Phil

Which way to go?

Phil, I might have missed it in your earlier posts but will your wife get into a small plane and fly with you? Has she ever been in a small plane? The answer to these questions would be a factor in what type plane you might build.;) building a plane is a large under taking. IMHO building without a pilots license would be building with one eye closed. It's a big gamble building with out your license. It's a long journey to build a plane, many things could happen along the way. For example If something physically occurred along the journey and you were not able to get a medical then if building a 14 then where would you be. I'm conservative, so first I learn how to walk then jog then run. Get your pilots license first then take your wife flying see how she likes it. Take a sport work shop, they're coming to the Dallas area in October.
http://www.sportair.com/schedule.html
I've built a RV12 and am currently building a RV14. The difference between the build time is huge. The 12 can be built in 2 years or less. The RV14 probably closer to 5 years especially for a first time builder. Not all the sub kits for the RV14 have been released yet. Again IMHO that won't occur until late 2015 or most likely 2016.:confused: Which ever way you go good luck on you journey. Great things await you along the way.:D

Back