What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some destination suggestions

dweyant

Well Known Member
I'm currently just outside Pittsburgh (KBVI) visiting family.

I plan to be here until about Saturday. That will give us about a week to wander home (KGTU) in Texas. I'd like some suggestions for how to fly home, places to see sort of on the way, etc.

Thanks,

-Dan

You're very close to Niagara Falls (RV close) so you may as well go see it if you haven't already.

It is hard to really know what may be interesting

I'll just ramble off a few things:

1 - Lycoming is not far away at Williamsport. PA you could look them up on the internet and see if tours are available to the public - I found it interesting when I went to the school and they included a tour last October.

2 - Dayton, OH - home of the Wright Brothers, AF Museum and Aviation Hall of Fame

3 - Mackinac Island, Michigan - Fascinating place, no motor vehicles, horse drawn taxi from the island's airport, the Grand Hotel is very special, tours of the old Fort are very interesting, bicycles are rented in town and we rode the entire 8 mile paved essentially level road with no cars around the perimeter of the island

4 -Indianapolis, IN - Indianapolis Motor Speedway, ride around the track in a small bus, tour the museum and hall of fame.

5 - Nashville, TN - Grand ole Opry, Andrew Jackson Home, Parthenon museum.

6 - Memphis, TN - Graceland tour was very interesting

7 - Louisville and Lexington KY - Churchill Downs (home of the Kentucky Derby) tour is almost a religious experience, horse country and Bourbon trail tours are good to see - beautiful country The airport at Lexington has an air museum with a RF-101 (kind of special to me), several home tours.

8 - Bowling Green, KY National Corvette museum (also had a factory tour there but they may have to be set up in advance - ours was)

9 - St. Louis, MO - the riverfront arch, Forest Park, Washington University (well it was special to me)

10 - Little Rock, AR - Bill Clinton Presidential Library - very interesting actually

11 - Lousiana - many plantation homes museums and other places of interest in and around New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Lafayette

Bob Axsom

I second Bob's no. 8 Bowling Green for a different reason: Mammoth Caves. Be sure to call ahead and make a reservation though.

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

BVI

Dan - Sounds like you got some good advice, so I have a question for you. Are you from that area? I'm from Hopewell, and all my family is still in that area. I just spent a week up there with my -7A and was parked at Prospect. I think those guys thought I was nuts because I was out there just about every night giving rides to friends/family.

One thing not mentioned, if you haven't already done it, is follow the river to downtown Pittsburgh at 2k feet and circle downtown a few times. At that altitude, be careful because there are some antennas that stick up higher than that. I always get a flight following and the guys at PIT approach are always very helpful.

Thanks,

Dan - Sounds like you got some good advice, so I have a question for you. Are you from that area? I'm from Hopewell, and all my family is still in that area. I just spent a week up there with my -7A and was parked at Prospect. I think those guys thought I was nuts because I was out there just about every night giving rides to friends/family.

One thing not mentioned, if you haven't already done it, is follow the river to downtown Pittsburgh at 2k feet and circle downtown a few times. At that altitude, be careful because there are some antennas that stick up higher than that. I always get a flight following and the guys at PIT approach are always very helpful.

Thanks,

Yes, some great suggestions thanks! Researching some of them now.

I'm up visiting family, but I live I. Georgetown, TX.

We've got our plane at prospect as well. They have been great!

-Dan

We stopped at Tullahoma Tn and took the courtesy van to Lynchburg and toured the JD Distillery. It was a great stop!

Try Branson,Mo but don't land at the big airport instead land at the college of the ozarks. You can get rental cara you can also land at Harrison, AR the folks are great, tell them the folks at Royal Oak Challenger N204JK sent you. They usually have a courtesy car and will let you use it. They are the cheapest on fuel also.
Smilin' Jack

Last edited:
Back