What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Homebuilt friendly FBO at Addison?

rpellicciotti

Planning a trip to the Dallas area. The Addison airport is nearest to my destination. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the FBOs there and has found one to be more friendly to homebuilts as another?

Thanks,

Addison airport,as a whole, does not really like general aviation that much. If you could fly your Lear or Gulfstream in, they would be much more friendly.

In the same position. Going to Dallas this Saturday. Was originally looking at Addison but during my research at Airnav found KTKI nearby with much more reasonable fuel prices and better feedback. I'll let you know when I get back. Still building RV, so it will be a Cessna.

Jay

KGKY

If you can use Arlington Municipal, I have an empty hangar that either of you'll are welcome to use. There's even a rental car place on site. Just lockup and slide the key in between the doors when you depart. It's not all that far from Addison.
Let me know if I can help.

another option

For Addison, I've used Atlantic before with good results. I live close to the airport but am not based there. When weather or schedule has forced my hand, I land at Atlantic and call my wife or a taxi to come get me then move the plane back to my base airport a few days later. It has never been an issue, and I've even been tucked into a hangar a few times. ADS, though, in general, is a little bit of a hassle to get in and out of. They seem to be busy all day every day. I have waited 15+ minutes for takeoff clearance on a busy thursday or friday afternoon.

As for using TKI, that would be better than ADS. Just be aware, Cutter (only FBO) charges a "ramp fee" just for showing up. This was the case a year or so ago, but I'm not 100% sure they're still doing it. Another option depending on what kind of services you need and where you're heading, is Aero Country (T31). Easy in and out, and cheaper fuel.

Last but not least, you can consider F69 (Air Park Dallas). They have public tie down spots but I'm not sure they have fuel. No matter which of these North Dallas area airports you use, if fuel cost is important to you, stop at SWI on your way in or out for the cheapest fuel in the area. They are at $4.50 as of today.

Hope that helps!

I've stayed at Encore at ADS. Not cheap (none of them are at ADS), but they have plenty of singles there. Approach and tower are very professional.

If you need to be in the ADS / west Plano area, you can try F69. Not much there, no real FBO to speak of, but they have tiedowns. ADS tower will give you Class D clearance and hand you over to CTAF.

DAL isn't much better, expensive and not good access. RBD isn't a bad alternative, TKI is OK but a long way from ADS.

TODR

Plan B: theVanCave

Rick,

If ADS turns out to be hundreds more than you want to spend, and you're free to drive during non-peak traffic times, then you're certainly invited to stay in my hangar for free and get a rental car.

Addison airport is 28miles away....Directions: http://goo.gl/maps/1O9iY

v/r,
dr

related: www.theVanCave.com

Last edited:
ADS is the only place I've ever been chewed out for improper taxi procedure - and then it wasn't even improper. About 12 years ago now I was taxing to the active, stopped about 6 or 8 feet short of the hold-short line and called up tower for takeoff. They chewed on me for stopping that far behind the hold-short line - female controller (no, not saying that had anything to do with it) wanted my nose wheel ON the hold-short line. Still haven't figured that one out...

Mesquite?

How about Mesquite? My son lives on the east side of Dallas, and I've been planning on flying into KHQZ when I visit. It's way closer (for me) than McKinney.

Just got back from Dallas. KTKI McKinney was great. Easy in and out. Cutter was a great FBO. No landing fee and fuel was .70 off on weekends.($6.04) I believe they have hangar space if you so desire.

Jay

Just got back from Dallas. KTKI McKinney was great. Easy in and out. Cutter was a great FBO. No landing fee and fuel was .70 off on weekends.($6.04) I believe they have hangar space if you so desire.

Jay

Thanks to everyone for the great replies and the offers of help. Looks like we will end up at TKI but we are examining the options.

Back