What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL iEFIS

iEFIS_Explorer_625.jpg

Is that picture to scale?

Look at that hand!

Rainier what were you guys thinking? I dont think the -7s panel is that big. :)

Have not been aware of this picture. It's done my Matt on the MGL USA website.

Yes, no big fanfares or drum rolls this time - but iEFIS is shipping. It's a nice system, I love flying behind it. It's slick. The touch screen works really well in flight and sunlight visibility under a glass canopy is no issue.

Own website is a bit behind and I'm working on the manuals (preliminary manuals are available at www.MGLAvionics.co.za).

MGL will have mockups of the Challenger and Discovery panels at Osh - just the housings with buttons etc but no electronics. I was hoping to have a Challenger ready for Osh but it was not going to be. Challenger will however be shipping in a few months from now, parts are coming in. The smaller Discovery will be the last to be completed.

Challenger is quite a mighty panel with full XGA resolution and it can be used landscape as well as portrait mode.

Rainier

Challenger is quite a mighty panel with full XGA resolution and it can be used landscape as well as portrait mode.

Rainier

I am excited to hear this because when we talked at Airventure last year, only the smallest of the screen would work in Portrait mode. If the Challenger will work in Portrait, that will make for an excellent panel upgrade.

I am excited to hear this because when we talked at Airventure last year, only the smallest of the screen would work in Portrait mode. If the Challenger will work in Portrait, that will make for an excellent panel upgrade.

Well, last year we had not yet decided on the actual LCD panel module and had not designed the housing. Now that is all done. The LCD module is barely larger than the actual visible area so that means the Challenger housing can be quite small (relatively speaking of course). In the end, despite having a row of buttons below the screen the total vertical size is virtually the same as the current Odyssey EFIS. Even better, since we don't have to allocate a lot of space on the sides as there is only a row of rotary controls (also five of them, just like the Explorer) the width is much less than the Odyssey.

Coupled with that we are now using a MVA display which has no viewing angle restrictions in any direction (including vertical which is traditionaly a problem area). So that means putting the Challenger in portrait mode is not issue - provided you have enough panel space for this - it still is a mighty big panel.

In the past panels that do not have viewing angle restrictions also did not have a lot of light output. This is now also solved and we will be running this panel at around 1000 nits with a completely non-reflective surface (in fact a double layer non-reflective system, an industry first). This directly translates into great sunlight viewability even at much less than 1000 nits.
It uses exactly the same touch screen technology as the 8.5" Explorer. This is effectively a modern version of the old resistive screen - using only optical glass in the construction and a spacer gap that is measured in microns - completely sealed and able to operate at any atmospheric pressure right down to the vacuum of space (which it needs to do as it is going into a space ship - no kidding). The resistive type technology has the advantage that it is possible to measure contact pressure and velocity very accurately. This of course is the answer to the touch screen operating issue in the cockpit. We are not the only ones that have come to this conclusion in case you are wondering - there is at least one manufacturer that makes EFIS systems costing an easy million that is doing similar...

I have to admit that putting the Challenger on its side makes it look really good in the cockpit.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

The Challenger is XGA, so 1024x768 resolution? That will show some nice detail.

What resolution is the Explorer?

Thanks!
Russ

The Challenger is XGA, so 1024x768 resolution? That will show some nice detail.

What resolution is the Explorer?

Thanks!
Russ

Yes, that is correct - 1024x768. It also does sub-pixel rendering so its even better...

Explorer and Discovery have the same resolution - WGA or 800x480. This means actual pixel size (more relevant than resolution as we must not forget the different sizes of the screens) is roughly the same - Explorer a bit more, Discovery a bit less.

The pixel size is actually smaller than on the big 22" monitor I am typing this on. Or put another way - the discussion is something to assign to the scrap heap of ancient computing - it does not matter anymore...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

1024x768 with sub pixel rendering... nice! Do you have pricing on the Challenger yet? This unit is definitely in the running for when I get my RV-7A finished. At the advice of many, I've been holding off on avionics until I really need them. Glad I am! :)

1024x768 with sub pixel rendering... nice! Do you have pricing on the Challenger yet? This unit is definitely in the running for when I get my RV-7A finished. At the advice of many, I've been holding off on avionics until I really need them. Glad I am! :)

Yes, that is wise advice - no matter who you get your panel from.

Explorer is roughly 15% LESS than a current MGL Voyager system and actually, it is even less than that as you get all the functionality that the previously optional COM and I/O extender modules provided thrown in "for free".
While we have not done final pricing for the Challenger yet, I don't think it will be too bad, definitely not more than the current MGL Odyssey. Remember, our goal is to make aviation affordable so we are very cost sensitive.

The real cost savings however come into play when you have more than one panel as the panels can share resources very effectively.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Thanks for the info Rainier.

A more technical question: What sensor is used for AOA measurement? I understand one can use single or dual port AOA sensing. Is there a specific AOA sensor you sell or recommend?

I was thinking of using the Dynon Pitot/AOA sensor.

Thanks!
Russ

Thanks for the info Rainier.

A more technical question: What sensor is used for AOA measurement? I understand one can use single or dual port AOA sensing. Is there a specific AOA sensor you sell or recommend?

I was thinking of using the Dynon Pitot/AOA sensor.

Thanks!
Russ

I actually have a Dynon Pitot/AOA sensor on MGL's development aircraft. It seems to work well, no issue there.

The system supports three methods:

Single ended AOA pressure based - That would be the method first developed by NASA and published in one of their early papers. This is the same method you find in the Dynon system (it is simply another pitot tube but at a downwards angle from the main pitot tube - about 20-30 degrees usualy).

Dual port (or differential). This is the best method and needs two holes in the wing leading edge (far away from propwash). One hole measures the positive pressure and one hole measures the negative. The negative is on top of the wing, the other at the bottom. The holes are a couple of inches from the leading edge (exact position depends on wing profile and pressure distribution).

Calculated. This does not need any pressure sensors. It uses the AHRS in combination with vertical and air speed. Not my favourite but it is available for completeness sake.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I spent quite a bit of time playing with the iefis at Oshkosh this week. Matt walked me through all of its capabilities on the first day. I have to say, this system really impresses with its design intent. I don't get the impression that it is quite done yet though. Both times I used it, the touch screen stopped doing certain functions (like altimeter adjustment would go down but not up). The first time, Matt rebooted it and it worked. After that, I left it alone and played with other areas. Also, it didn't have the majority of the accessories hooked up, so for the most part there were red X's on everything. Still, I really think they have a great idea there and the whole group of them seem to be RV minded people. All of them showed up at Horton's gathering and were again quite friendly despite what had to be a grueling day of tire kickers.

Great people, great idea, just needs finishing. Far more intuitive than the Garmin. I went to Oshkosh to choose an Efis system. The iefis tops the list in potential, but I don't think I can wait. I may regret that decision.

Last edited:
Great people, great idea, just needs finishing. Far more intuitive than the Garmin. I went to Oshkosh to choose an Efis system. The iefis tops the list in potential, but I don't think I can wait. I may regret that decision.

The iEFIS system you are seeing at the stand is running in a quick "demo" mode I made up for it at Osh - about a week before the show.
It needs the iBOX and everything else that forms part of the system to work properly. It is fully operational and has been flying for some time now.
I will be working on the demo mode some more to "fake" the devices that are not plugged in a bit better. The altimeter you are refering to for example is in the iBOX and so is the barometer adjustment. It is not really supposed to adjust the altimeter without the iBOX connected. The red crosses appear for eveything that has been enabled but is not connected - I have not been able to fake everything for the demo in the little time that was available.

However, you are correct - it is not finished - it never will be, just like any of other systems. This is just the start - and if you take where our older systems were when they were first released and where they are now as any form of yardstick - this is going to be an interesting ride.

There are a few areas that I am still working on - one of them relates to transfering of files between panels in the aircraft and related to that the wireless node - this item alone is blowing the doors wide open with respect to what can be done - I don't even think we have even thought of all the possibilities this opens up.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Last edited:
Rainer

Does MGL have a customer site to discuss the systems, applications, good things or problems and resolutions? A MGL community discussion site that we can read over to learn more about the product?

The iEFIS system you are seeing at the stand is running in a quick "demo" mode I made up for it at Osh - about a week before the show.
It needs the iBOX and everything else that forms part of the system to work properly. It is fully operational and has been flying for some time now.
I will be working on the demo mode some more to "fake" the devices that are not plugged in a bit better. The altimeter you are refering to for example is in the iBOX and so is the barometer adjustment. It is not really supposed to adjust the altimeter without the iBOX connected. The red crosses appear for eveything that has been enabled but is not connected - I have not been able to fake everything for the demo in the little time that was available.

However, you are correct - it is not finished - it never will be, just like any of other systems. This is just the start - and if you take where our older systems were when they were first released and where they are now as any form of yardstick - this is going to be an interesting ride.

There are a few areas that I am still working on - one of them relates to transfering of files between panels in the aircraft and related to that the wireless node - this item alone is blowing the doors wide open with respect to what can be done - I don't even think we have even thought of all the possibilities this opens up.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I hope I didn't come across as being overly critical. Of all the systems I played with at Oshkosh over those two days, and I hit them all, yours has the most potential. I hope you understand though, that if a client can't make it work at the show...it's hard to part with a stack of cash reaching into the 5 figure range. Still, I admit...I am tempted. Had the red X's been fully functional...I would have pulled my wallet out on the spot. If it's fully functional, I really wish you had brought the full system. I think most of us can live without it flying around demo style if all the buttons work, GPS works, radios work etc. After all, it's the integration of these units that is so appealing, we would like to see that integration in action.

The guys at your booth were over the top friendly and helpful. It was nice seeing them at the Horton gathering as well. Like Stein and Marc from Vertical Power, you guys are the type of people I would like to see succeed. Since you are here, can you give us a list of the functions you intend to put into your next iefis update and when you believe that update will be? What will the next 12 months look like for this system?

Last edited:
Simplicity

I think that people miss the major point of iEFIS. Simplicity of the hardware and installation. It is a very modular approach. The user interface on the screen is one thing, getting all the information to it is another. With iEFIS you have 3 primary 'boxes'. RDAC - all engine monitoring functions connect here. The RDAC connects via one cable to the iBOX. Various other systems like pitot/static, AHRS, Radios, etc. all connect to the iBOX via 1 cable each. The iBOX connects to the iEFIS with 2 LAN cables. That is it (other than the power supply cable). This means no complicated wiring harnesses behind the firewall. Just a few cables. This will save a lot of hours of installation time.

I believe you may be under the impression that if there is a red X over an item on the screen that it is a "dummy" or something that is not finished.
Far from it - this is now a pretty standard way of saying that the item on the screen is not working in the sense of "not plugged in or switched off". In case of the iEFIS is has a HUGE amount of functionality and all of the red crosses will only dissappear if all of the items that you see on the screen are in fact connected and reporting no problems.
Of course, in a real scenario you would only have the items on the screen that you actually have so a red cross would show up as a real world problem with the related equipment.

What we need to do for next year is have a complete cockpit mockup with everything attached including autopilot servos, trims, radios, transponders, adsb, ECB etc etc.

With the current demo I "faked" the AHRS and some of the primary instruments like altimeter and GPS. That's just to be able to give an impression without ending up with a full installation job on the stand at short notice (which would have been impossible).

In particular, some of the crossed out items on the screen that you may be refering to are:
ADSB. This is fully functional including ADSB-out, ADSB Weather, metars, tafs and traffic etc.
Transponder: Fully functional with a choice of a very low cost mode-c or a competitively priced mode-s that includes ES.
For both ADSB and mode-S a certified GPS for position reference can be used if desired and you have choices here as well.
Nav radio - fully functional either as a GPS based "simulated" nav radio or SL30/G430 and equivalent as well as the MGL nav radio when we release that.
COM1 and COM2 - you can connect a variety of radios here but full function and 8.33Khz channel spacing is only available with MGL radios. Full function meaning that you can fully control all aspects of the COM radio (volume, squelch etc) as well as all setup through the panel.
GPS - built in 50 channel WAAS/RAIM GPS
Autopilot - an enhanced version of the autopilot proven in the current generation systems (the enhancement will be made available with the next software update for the existing systems).
ECB - this is the "electronic circuit breaker system". The VPX is fully operational and you can control the breakers using the touch screen which is very nice and convenient. The MGL ECB system will also be released soon.
Flap, pitch and bank trim - fully operational with the VPX using touch screen control, MGL flap/trim controller to be released in a few weeks as well.

In the demo the engine data is faked - you can monitor up to 4 engines (no kidding).

While I'm pretty sure there will be the odd niggle discovered in the next few weeks as systems take to the skies in numbers these will be taken care of rapidly as they become known. Flights so far have been exemplary to say the least.

Our biggest problem at the moment is production - we have a huge order backlog for these things - the largest ever in our history and we need to somehow fill these orders as quickly as possible. We are producing them as quickly as we can and shipments are now leaving every day but at the moment the orders are coming in faster than what we can produce. I am hoping that this will drop to sustainable levels once the initial rush has passed.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I hope I didn't come across as being overly critical. Of all the systems I played with at Oshkosh over those two days, and I hit them all, yours has the most potential. I hope you understand though, that if a client can't make it work at the show...it's hard to part with a stack of cash reaching into the 5 figure range. Still, I admit...I am tempted. Had the red X's been fully functional...I would have pulled my wallet out on the spot. If it's fully functional, I really wish you had brought the full system. I think most of us can live without it flying around demo style if all the buttons work, GPS works, radios work etc. After all, it's the integration of these units that is so appealing, we would like to see that integration in action.

The guys at your booth were over the top friendly and helpful. It was nice seeing them at the Horton gathering as well. Like Stein and Marc from Vertical Power, you guys are the type of people I would like to see succeed. Since you are here, can you give us a list of the functions you intend to put into your next iefis update and when you believe that update will be? What will the next 12 months look like for this system?

Yes, that is exactly it.
It is indeed very quick to install this system, I installed the prototype into our aircraft myself. Most of the time was spent removing/modifying existing wiring.

The panels themselves are almost a joke - it feels like something is wrong. Just the power connection, screw in the SMA LAN cable and you are done (I don't have cameras in our aircraft but that would have just been another plug).
With all the wiring now concentrated around the iBOX - location of this becomes the primary concern and it is now possible to mount this in a place where all wiring is accessible with the connectors facing you. This is a huge advantage - the days of working behind panels at arkward angles is gone for good.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I think that people miss the major point of iEFIS. Simplicity of the hardware and installation. It is a very modular approach. The user interface on the screen is one thing, getting all the information to it is another. With iEFIS you have 3 primary 'boxes'. RDAC - all engine monitoring functions connect here. The RDAC connects via one cable to the iBOX. Various other systems like pitot/static, AHRS, Radios, etc. all connect to the iBOX via 1 cable each. The iBOX connects to the iEFIS with 2 LAN cables. That is it (other than the power supply cable). This means no complicated wiring harnesses behind the firewall. Just a few cables. This will save a lot of hours of installation time.

I have just taken delivery of my dual screen iEFIS and I have to say, that I have been very impressed with the whole system.
It has been very easy to connect together (albeit just on the bench for now), and compared to others that I have wired, this is a snip.

In a few evenings I have every thing working including the Autopilot servos.
The menus are quite deep but this means just about any option you can think of is accessible.

The manuals are still evolving but there is sufficient information to get everything working very easily.
I am lucky that in the UK, the agent is very knowledgeable and has answered all the questions that I have thrown at him.

The touch screen works very well and the display is very bright and has a good resolution.
The rotary controls also work very well and have a very good feel to them.

If I have any criticism at all then it would be with the push button switches, but time will tell if these become a reliability issue.

Overall, a good job Rainier!!

Note.
I have no affiliation to MGL other than being a satisfied customer.

I have just taken delivery of my dual screen iEFIS and I have to say, that I have been very impressed with the whole system.
It has been very easy to connect together (albeit just on the bench for now), and compared to others that I have wired, this is a snip.

In a few evenings I have every thing working including the Autopilot servos.
The menus are quite deep but this means just about any option you can think of is accessible.

The manuals are still evolving but there is sufficient information to get everything working very easily.
I am lucky that in the UK, the agent is very knowledgeable and has answered all the questions that I have thrown at him.

The touch screen works very well and the display is very bright and has a good resolution.
The rotary controls also work very well and have a very good feel to them.

If I have any criticism at all then it would be with the push button switches, but time will tell if these become a reliability issue.

Overall, a good job Rainier!!

Note.
I have no affiliation to MGL other than being a satisfied customer.
Hi John,
We're can't make the AHARS talk to the SP6/7 , checked the wires for continuity, and still the big X. Perhaps you could give some advice ? Already sent an email to Matt (he's flying) and Rainier. Plane should be flying as of yesterday for a long trip.

Tks,

The iBOX connects to the SP7 (AHRS) and the SP6(Magnetometer) using the CAN bus and it will not work if its not terminated correctly.

Make sure you have fitted the terminating resistor (120R) at one end of the bus if the wire length is 10 feet or less(fit it across the connector) or fit one at either end of the CAN bus if the wire run is longer.
I have the iBOX, SP6 & SP7 on CAN 1, the resistor is fitted across pins 1 and 2 of the CAN connector on the iBOX.
John

John have you had a chance to fly behind your iEFIS as of yet? Curious what your impressions are.

thanks,
William

William,
No not yet, I am just going through the hoops with our LAA (Light Aircraft Association)for some modification approvals.
I need to get theses out of the way before I start the panel change.
John

Still no updates? Photos? No experience with these yet?
I will help as much as I can. I am just North of you at KFNL and am installing it into an older RV-6A. So i can make whatever measurements & take photos; however not flying yet. It is still set up on the bench as I use it to trouble shoot any issues that come up. There are others who are flying with it and some reports on my web site http://www.mglavionicsusers.org .

I am installing an iEfis system with Explorer display but will switch to Challenger when it becomes available. I'm also installing the MGL servos & will use the integrated autopilot.

GH

Here are some panel photos. The cut outs are for Challenger (10.4") so for Explorer (8.5"), I will just use a temporary sub-panel:

IMG_1185Q.jpg

IMG_1186Q.jpg

IMG_1187Q.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone flying with the IEFIS?

I am also interested in people's experiences flying with the new IEFIS. I am considering it for my 9A and would like to hear others opinions. Anyone in the Denver area installing one?

I couldn't find any pireps either. There are a few bench test systems out there but reports are that the system is not ready for flight.

This thread talks about some of the issues.

Take a good hard look at total system cost vs capability before making your decision. Things like mode S and adsb are far more money than the garmin system. All in, the cost is pretty high and that was fine with me...if it worked. But it doesn't work and development is going painfully slow (one man engineering dept). Adsb in, as of this week, is now working....but out still doesn't. Garmin comm is still down I assume. With none in the air, it's hard to say what else works or doesn't. This thread gives some updates.

I had a gorgeous design for the RV8 with two challenger screens (10.4" not released yet) that I was moving forward on after Rainier assured us that all was fully functional. In the end though, the vaporware sales strategy, slow development and total system cost vs ability put me in the Garmin camp. I know it happens all the time, but when a company sells their system as fully functional when they know full well it isn't.....I get irritated. That's just bad business.

Touchscreen is the way of the future though and MGL is certainly leading the way in touchscreen EFIS, from South Africa.

Garmin...are you ok with that? I suspect not.....

Last edited:
I am going to take issue with your "doesn't work" statement. That is a very broad statement given the full range of functionality of the iEFIS system and does not represent the true status well at all. If you were to refer to just the ADS-B function, then it might be true today, but certainly won't be true soon. I have not been able to test ADS-B (on the bench), but only due to the lack of signals in my area. That lack of ground stations is a much better example of slow development (FAA-ADSB). Also, try testing ADSB in South Africa.

I am one of the people with the IEFIS components set up on my bench, testing various things while finishing up panel design & water jet. I did so because the system is so easy to set up. The way the system is designed makes it very easy to connect up and use. A few notes follow:

1. I have probably checked out 99% of the functionality in the areas of flight instruments and engine monitoring on the bench and they all are working. So to say "not ready for flight" is not accurate. Also MGL flies very often with 2 iEFIS displays in their new development aircraft.

2. One surprising thing was, that inside of my metal hangar, with all the doors closed (also metal), on the bench, with the GPS antenna puck just snapped to the top of my tool chest, I get a 3D 7 satellite fix very quickly. The iBOX contains a high specification 50 channel GPS receiver with SBAS/WAAS support.
Sensitivity:
Tracking and navigation: -162dbm
Reaquisition: -160dbm
Cold start: -148dbm
Hot start: -157dbm
Achievable horizontal positioning accuracy is specified as 2.5m and 2.0m with SBAS support.

img_1108q_313.jpg

3. Touch - Using another quote "Touchscreen is the way of the future though and MGL is certainly leading the way in touchscreen EFIS, from South Africa." I am liking this more & more each day I use the system. Nothing like pressing 'nearest', then an airport, then a frequency, and your comm is all set up for you.

4. One problem, somewhat related, that I worked on recently, was the setting of frequencies into the MGL V6 radio by a Garmin portable. To address the problem, I contacted both MGL and Garmin for details. Heard from MGL but nada from Garmin. So MGL is more open. Good or bad, depends on what you want I guess. The problem was fixed but in the process I learned a lot about the Garmin radios and the MGL radios. With the iEFIS system you get very complete control over a V10/V6 radio and all from a simple little touch control panel. I can personally attest to all this as I was part of getting the Garmin interface to work.

So, I simply wanted to say that "not ready for flight" and "not working" are "not accurate" in terms of the overall product. There may be some specific functions that fit this description, but also probably not for long. Cecil in Florida has the good fortune to be LOS with an ADSB ground station and is looking at the ADSB in/out and I believe he is planning on flying or is flying with iEFIS.

PS: Late addition
"ADSB-OUT should be working...
I have enabled it with the last update. I have just checked the output using a serial port monitor and the output looks reasonable...

Good idea on using the airport approach info fields on the screen. There are a couple of "gotcha's" since there are other, invisble fields on the screen - for example, touch close to the left side of the altimeter and that sets the altimeter bug to current altitude, touch the heading and that sets the heading bug to current heading. Touch the center of the screen to reset the AHRS...

Rainier"

Last edited:
I'm sorry Gray, I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. Perhaps I should explain why I chose the words that you are taking issue with.

If I were to write the check for the entire MGL IEFIS system today, buy the screens, the ibox, the Mode S transponder, the Navworx etc and then following the manual I hooked it all up...would it work? No, it would not..which is why I said it doesn't work. Until this week, doing all of that resulted in a system that locked up every three minutes and needed the power cycled to wake it back up. That's the definition of doesn't work isn't it? Most people reading these forums are not going to take the time as you and Cecil have to engineer and write the software to make a system that they wrote a huge check for work. The manual says if you plug this into that, it works. The problem is...it doesn't.

Lets just be real straight here, Rainier posted back in July (post 22 above) that the ADSB was fully functional. The adsb has just this week been turned on and as of this morning, still isn't working according to the only guy on the planet even attempting it. I'm sorry brother, but it's not working yet and it certainly wasn't working back in July when Rainier assured us it was. MGL Forum Post

I haven't read anywhere that the Garmin 430 issue has even been looked at yet. Which brings up the question of what else isn't working? If there are none flying, how do you know the autopilot works? Wifi node? Does the Mode-S work? You've got 99% checked on the bench? What engine is it monitoring from the bench? Does the airspeed work? Does the altimeter work? I spent some years in R&D electronics and a power on test on a bench really doesn't mean much. I've seen RF interference turn a computer inside out... and that's in a car after it had passed months of life tests. Lots of things happen in an airplane during flight that aren't occurring on a bench. From a bench, you can't test 5% of an aircraft efis system. It just can't be done. The things you can test, are things like...does it communicate with the boxes that are plugged into it. Thus far, it doesn't work with the $2500 Navworx spec'd for it, nor the $8000+ Garmin 430w...that's $10.5k of hardware that isn't working as spec'd already and it hasn't left the ground yet. Bench testing is the very beginning of development in R&D. The system hasn't been asked to actually do anything yet other than communicate with the boxes it's harnessed to which it can't do, yet it's ready for flight? Are you saying you would fly the IEFIS in its current form into a cloud? If you're not saying that...it's not ready for flight.

4. One problem, somewhat related, that I worked on recently, was the setting of frequencies into the MGL V6 radio by a Garmin portable. To address the problem, I contacted both MGL and Garmin for details. Heard from MGL but nada from Garmin. So MGL is more open. Good or bad, depends on what you want I guess. The problem was fixed but in the process I learned a lot about the Garmin radios and the MGL radios. With the iEFIS system you get very complete control over a V10/V6 radio and all from a simple little touch control panel. I can personally attest to all this as I was part of getting the Garmin interface to work.

It would take a bit of a stretch for me to believe that MGL requiring YOU (not Rainier) to engineer a fix is a positive for MGL. How would Garmin have fixed an MGL problem and why would they even attempt it? They don't advertise their portables as being MGL compatible do they? Did you expect them to put an $80k a year engineer on the MGL problem? I applaud you being part of getting the MGL to work...but, shouldn't it have already been working? Why isn't MGL's engineering 'team' working these problems instead of clients like you and Cecil, assuming of course you're not being paid. I understand that Cecil's system was given to him for testing due to his skillset and deservedly so, he is far beyond what most of us are capable of. However, that's not the same thing as asking clients to pay for a system that isn't working, while...and here is the important part...telling them it is working. Therein lies the real issue here I think. If MGL had chosen to tell us the IEFIS is still under development, that allows us to decide if we wish to spend our money and wait for it to work. That's not at all what is happening though. We've been told, back in July, that IEFIS is fully functional and we're still being told that when clearly it's not... and that is not right.

So, I simply wanted to say that "not ready for flight" and "not working" are "not accurate" in terms of the overall product. There may be some specific functions that fit this description, but also probably not for long. Cecil in Florida has the good fortune to be LOS with an ADSB ground station and is looking at the ADSB in/out and I believe he is planning on flying or is flying with iEFIS.

Until this week...if you wired a navworx up to the Iefis system it would lock up in 3 minutes. That's not ready for flight. Speaking of which, the words 'not ready for flight' came from Cecil, who is certainly NOT flying it. He's been trying to get the system functional for months now and posting pretty regularly about it on your forums. I appreciate that you own and operate those forums and I'm really not trying to upset anyone here, especially a local. But....Rockwood (also a local) asked for info and I had some to offer so I did. I admit, I struggled with whether or not to say anything as I knew it would cause some strife in here, but in the end these forums are about pilots helping pilots. He is free to read everything out there and draw his own conclusions as I did. If he, or you, can find a flying and fully functional IEFIS out there today...I'll buy you lunch and apologize.

I think we can all assume that eventually it will work. I certainly believe that. But it's also pretty obvious that when Rainier told us that it was fully functional that he was at the very least...stretching the truth far beyond limits.

Last edited:
Sorry, no payroll for me. I remain just a poor retired person. I simply like to pick a technical problem every now and then & work on it. Sort of like mind exercise to go along with physical exercise. Most are not MGL related.

GH

My MGL support

I am also just a unPaid MGL customer helping as best I can. The iEFIS is a cutting edge product that I have the privlege of helping along at the HiTech edges. There is no doubt in my mind that when the full ADSB and G430/500 Integration are complete there will be no other system close to its capabilities. If I didn't believe this I wouldn't be investing my time and $$ in this effort. ADSB-In does work now and one of the new simple ADSB in only receivers should also work (my son has tested one on Odyssey so far) and ADSB out will get tested again in a few days. This integration effort is not perfect (not a large company) but it's part of the MGL community effort. Which i enjoy as part of my experimental aviation experience.
Cecil

New iEFIS update integrates G400/500W and ADSB

In time for Christmas!! The latest iEFIS 1.0.0.9 release has now integrated the Garmin 400/500W avionics and the NavWorx ADSB systems into the iEFIS. I will be updating both the G400/500W and ADSB integration guides with the iEFIS over the next several weeks, but I wanted to pass on some early good news from what I believe this updated release provides.

1) All of the iEFIS ARINC updates will also be ported over to the Odyssey G2 (shortly?).
2) The Garmin ARINC input will now automatically set (Via-ARINC Data from G430/530 CDI Switch and Freq position) the iEFIS NAV mode to either GPS-ENR (Enroute), GPS-TERM (Terminal), or GPS-APR (Approach) or ILS-APR, or VOR. These modes will flash slowly on the iEFIS display to rtemind the pilot what mode the pland is in. The only override for Auto Nav Mode is if the iEFIS is in Vectors (Manual) autopilot mode using HDG Bug-and ALT-Bug.
3) iEFIS in ARINC NAV mode during an approach the iEFIS will follow the GARMIN Roll Steering ARINC Digital Autopilot output for lateral guidance and Altitude bug for Vertical guidance until the Vertical needle is intercepted at which time the Autopilot Vertical guidance system will switch over to the Vertical ARINC output from the G400/500W (see Rainier discussion on this intercept mode).
4) iEFIS should now follow the G400/500 through a holding pattern as well as a full approach and the missed approach using the ARINC autopilot guidance. But holding patterns will still only show on the G400/500 display.
5) As seen on the picture below the iEFIS will display the same nice Lateral and Vertical Blue needles for both GPS-ARNAV and ILS approaches as well as the HSI and VSI indications available from before. Many great screen design options will now be available with these displays. I desgined the one sctreen below after moving the orginal screen from the Odyssey G2 over to the iEFIS (which works but is a real pain)
6) The iEFIS simulator will now play back a recorded ARINC file like on the G2 Odyssey simulator. This all works except that the iEFIS Simulator will not track the ARINC GPS recording position so you cannot fully replay an ARINC recorded approach. The neddles and ARINC route/positions will play back but Simm will not follow GPS data to refly this route. Since I use this mode to help write the Integration Gyuide it will also be a pain. Hopefully this will be fixed in a upcominmg release.
7) ADSB now works similar to the way it does on the G2. iEFIS will show ADSB traffic, weather, and TAF/METARS. NavWorx ADSB control from the iEFIS now works except for iEFIS altitude input, but NavWorx will supply altitude from its internal GPS (this will be fixed at some time). I will provide details in the iEFIS ADSB integration guide.

Cecil

Pic on the MGL forum

Back