What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info on Flying into Wichita, KS area

DBone

Well Known Member
My wife and I have a wedding to attend in Wichita the weekend of January 27-29, and we plan on flying. I'll take the <2hr flight over the 5.5+ hour drive any day.

The wedding looks to be in the center of downtown, real close to the big intersection of 135 and 400. We haven't booked a hotel yet, but we'll try to stay as close to the reception area as possible.

The closest airport looks to be Westport (71K), but it is so close to the "big" airport (ICT), it's almost a wash in the distance category. Fuel prices are about the same as well. That all makes me lean more towards flying into ICT, since a cab ride would probably be easier, and there's more options if I have an airplane problem of any kind. I have to plan ICT as a backup anyway in case we have to go IFR, so why not just make it the primary and make planning easier?

Any thoughts and/or suggestions from the locals or anybody with experience flying into the area is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

That all makes me lean more towards flying into ICT...there's more options if I have an airplane problem of any kind...

Only if you want to pay more...Earl at Dead Cow International (ask him the story about that one)/71K can fix about anything for less than the big FBOs to the west.

Airliners fly into ICT as well as corporate and GA. It's walking distance from the FBO's to the airline terminal for rental cars if you want to go that way or cabs are usually there waiting as well.

AAO is GA/corporate traffic...rental cars can be arranged. Only one FBO and it's nice, but fuel is expensive.

3AU used to have the cheapest fuel...haven't been around there in over a year though.

Drop into 1K1 if you want to have a nice breakfast/lunch/dinner/beer (at the end of the flying day) at the restaurant. Very nice people around there too. Fuel is reasonable too. Probably not to easy to get a cab or rental car.

I know an RV guy at K50 who probably has room in his 50x60 hangar for free...but getting a cab/rental car might take some pre-arranging. Possible though.

K32 is the least desirable for your mission.

Fly safe,

-Jim

Last edited:
Dave,

I would look at AAO. Hotels on 35 and close to everything.
Give me a shout if needed.
Fly on the East side and on the north end cut power and land.
Should see some great airplanes up there.
Watch for the snow.

I've been in and out of Wichita quite a few times in the past three years. I have used AAO and ICT. I would recommend Yingling Aircraft at ICT. Good FBO with good service. They have a self serve fuel pump that generally has prices that are competitive. Rental cars or taxi are available at the FBO. T-hangar rental is usually available and while they are pretty expensive, Yingling has been very reasonable when I needed to rent a hangar. That Kansas winter weather can be pretty brutal. Talk to Tom Reardon in customer service and tell him I sent you.

Distance to downtown is not a big issue at all. For hotels in the downtown area, the Old Town Hotel is one of my favorites.

Fehdxl is right about Earl at "Dead Cow International" Good shop and a very entertaining history at that airport. I based my J4 Cub, and later my Tri-Pacer there several lifetimes ago. Fond memories.

Last edited:
RE: Yingling

Tom's been there a looooooong time.
I worked at Yingling when I lived in Wichita. 1988-1990. My full time job was at the Coleman, I worked at Yingling Friday evening and weekends.
Ask Tom if he still has the '64 Lincoln my brother & I sold him.:)
Anyway, had lots of fun there & was a great place to play...........I mean work.

Marshall Alexander

Really can't go wrong with any of the sites mentioned. ICT is some very friendly charlie airspace, and most of the time really isn't very busy. If you need to rent a car or catch a cab while you're here, Yingling will be the most convenient by far. Cars can be had at Jabara but they'll probably be more expensive and so will a cab since it's not as close to where you're going to end up. All other airports, while having their own charms and most are downrignt great to visit, just won't cut it for your transportation needs. If you're going to have some time on your hands, shoot me a PM. I'd love to buy you a beer and talk RVs.

Back