What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Feed back on EFIS

Marvin

My partner and I are looking to up grade our RV8-A panel to Glass. Of all the EFIS systems out there The MGL is looking good. Dynon is a close second. We would like to hear some pros and cons about all systems. We would like to hear about your experiences such as installation, support, using and readability in direct sun light or any thing you can share.
You can call direct 7073670891 or email me at
[email protected]

It would probably help to get meaningful feedback if you tell a bit more about your plane, and most important, about the planned mission/usage for the upgrade to glass.

Upgrade to glass

Marvin

I've only got 80 hours on the RV-7 I just finished but can say that I've been very impressed with the Skyview system from Dynon. I haven't had a situation yet where I couldn't read the display in direct sunlight. I love the battery backup feature, this really made designing the electrical system much easier as it eliminated the need for redundant power supplies. Also, the menu system is very intuitive. Hope this helps

I love my Grand Rapids HD Synthatic Vision system. Plus there upgrade policy and customer support is as good as it gets.

H Marvin,

Take a look here at the "Glass Cockpit" forum and spend a little time reading....or a LOT of time reading. All of the question that you asked have been answered hundreds of times by folks, and all of that is stored in the archives.

Stein Bruch and I give a forum each year at Oshkosh and selecting EFIS's, and one thing I can tell you for sure - no two pilots/builders have identical requirements, so having folks make recommendations, or telling you how well their choice worked out for them, doesn't help much.

So get a large container of the beverage of your choice, and enjoy the archives! ;)

Paul

Dynon 10-inch Skyview

My partner and I are looking to up grade our RV8-A panel to Glass. ... We would like to hear about your experiences such as installation ...

Marvin,

You're upgrading an RV-8A so I presume you purposely asked this question here as the 8's panel is not like most of the other RVs'. Nor is access to the tailcone for installation of a remote magnetometer. This response focuses on the installation of a 10-inch Dynon Skyview in my '8A.

It's important to me that the PFD and/or map screen be centered in the panel with room for avionics on the left. With careful construction, it was just possible.

SkyviewInRV-8APanel.jpg

If you have an aft-mounted battery, it will be difficult to locate the remote ADAHRS far enough aft in an already completed '8. In new construction (with no aft top skin installed) it's not a big deal but besides containing the remote magnetometer, the Skyview's ADAHRS needs pitot, static, and AOA lines run to it. Be sure to investigate whether or not you can access a suitable area in the tail cone (or a wing).

Finding space on the aft wall of the forward baggage hold for the optional accessory modules should be investigated too. Mounting the backup battery and transponder are straightforward jobs but the engine monitor had me scratching my head because of its need to run wires forward to the engine (and I don't want wiring or conduit in my forward baggage hold).

Then there's only the GPS to find a location for :) I'll probably put it on a bracket under the cowl.

I'm happy with my selection of the 10-inch Dynon Skyview but its installation in an '8 has to be one of the more difficult of the available systems. Good luck with your decision.

--
Joe

Back