What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did you reinforce your wingtips?

marchudson

Well Known Member
Was wondering if guys are using the wooded dowel pins glassed over to reinforce the middle section of their wing tips? or maybe some other method.
This is suggested by one builder in the "builder tips" section on the main page.
When I cleco mine in place, they appear to be fairly stiff in the middle but not sure how much flexing they will do in flight.

Thanks in advance.

Reinforcement

Hi Marc,

I wrote that guide to reinforcing the tips. Having done several now, I've found the dowel method is probably the most effective as well as lightest.

Although, the tips feel relatively stiff, they flex (compress) in flight.

I only did what the plans dictated. I've screamed in on decent at speeds up to 220mph. Have looked at the tips and found nothing out of them. 460hrs and counting.

I made foam ribs with cardboard dams and 2 part mix and pour 4lb density foam. Very light and stiff.

I added foam ribs from sheets of blue foam available from the airplane isle at your local home supply store. I just used some proseal to glue them in.
Wings66.jpg
Wings67.jpg

No

510 hrs and the still look like new. I've never noticed any compression during any phase of flight.

I used the left over stiffeners from my rudder (if I remember correctly) since I heard they can deform. I have not seen any, but if I was going to build again, I probably would not do that. The main issue for me is later on painting and the mark that leaves behind, when it is glassed from the other side. This is of course how @n@l one can be in their painting and its quality show.

Glued some 1" square blue foam inside and then used 3/4oz deck cloth to cover them.

We use the tips as the main method of moving the aeroplane around - no movement on the ground or in flight.

DSC01341.JPG

I used pieces of glassed-over 3/8" nylon rope for ribs in my wingtips; 500 hours and no noticeable flexing/cracking.

Mark Olson RV-7A - 500 hours F1-EVO Rocket - 55 hours

Back