What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tug?

bob888

Well Known Member
Any suggestions on a tug for the RV10? I'm getting a little tired of struggling up the slope in front of my hangar.

Tug

48volt golf cart. And you can use it too run around the airport. I picked up a great condition one with new batteries for $1800, just needed a good cleaning. Welded a hitch on the front for hangar use and bought one for the back for the long tugs over to the pumps.

+1 for Best Tugs

In the commercially-available options department: We use Best Tugs in our fleet hangar at Van's. Ours are an A3 and a B5. They're quite awesome.

https://www.besttugs.com/

Spouse bought me a B5 at SNF last year. A bit overkill for the RV-7A, but will be perfect for when the RV-10 is done. Really nice piece of engineering and manufacturing.

Prepare for sticker shock, though.

A different Approach

I had the same issue pushing my RV up the slope into my T hangar.

My solution seems to be the norm at my local field - I pull the A/C in using a winch attached to the back wall of the hangar. After a little discussion board research and some thought I decided to attach to the A/C use a towing strap with two loops - one on each step. i have been using this method for 2 years and it seems to be working - no impact on the steps

I also added another 30 feet of wire to the controller so I can hold the controller and tow bar at the same time.

The tug could be fun as well but with ice and snow up here in VT not having to worry about traction during the winter made the winch an easy winner.

DIY Tug

I made this one out of some emergency light batteries and some electric scooter parts. All of the motor/controller parts were sourced from Amazon.

It has a thumb "throttle" to control the speed. I've been using it for over a year now and it works great.

I think it cost me less than $300 Cdn to build it, including the 1.5" box steel. There are another couple videos on my youtube account that shows some close-up pics.

The last mod was an electric actuator to operate the attach points from a standing position.

https://youtu.be/XbOx4KMyZQs

Just me, but I would not pull horizonally on the tail tie down. It's really only designed for vertical stress.

What? Where did you get that information? The tie down should be designed to hold about 3,000 pounds force in all external directions - the wind blows in all directions; 3,000 pounds is the strength recommendation for tie-down nylon rope in AC 20-35C.

For the record, I've pulled my Baron into the hangar by the rear tie-down with a fine floor mounted 1/2 ton winch from Harbor Freight ($100 five years ago) many, many times with no effect on the airframe whatsoever. It's average weight was about 4500 pounds sitting on the ramp and my winch pulled it in fine. Do note that the rolling weight, even up a slight ramp, is much less than the sitting weight of the aircraft.

I have a hard time believing that pulling an RV-10 rearward from the tie-down will damage the airframe, but I'll ask Van's to clarify.

Last edited:
What? Where did you get that information? The tie down should be designed to hold about 3,000 pounds force in all external directions - the wind blows in all directions; 3,000 pounds is the strength recommendation for tie-down nylon rope in AC 20-35C.

For the record, I've pulled my Baron into the hangar by the rear tie-down with a fine floor mounted 1/2 ton winch from Harbor Freight ($100 five years ago) many, many times with no effect on the airframe whatsoever. It's average weight was about 4500 pounds sitting on the ramp and my winch pulled it in fine. Do note that the rolling weight, even up a slight ramp, is much less than the sitting weight of the aircraft.

I have a hard time believing that pulling an RV-10 rearward from the tie-down will damage the airframe, but I'll ask Van's to clarify.

I wouldn't have any concern with someone pulling an RV-10 with the tail tie down.

Pulling it using the steps would give me some concern it it was being done on the ends.

What? Where did you get that information? The tie down should be designed to hold about 3,000 pounds force in all external directions - the wind blows in all directions.

Like I said JUST ME in my reply. You can pull on whatever and wherever you want on your aircraft as this was my opinion. The rear tie downs on the RV 10 were not designed to be a tow point. What you did on your Barron is irrelevant, well because it's not a RV10. I hope yanking on your rear works out for you in the future. This is all my opinion so I would definitely consult vans first.

The rear tie downs on the RV 10 were not designed to be a tow point. .... This is all my opinion so I would definitely consult vans first.

This is the crux of my issue, you're stating the design criteria as a statement of fact and I'm simply wondering what you're basing that on.

But Scott already chimed in and I consider that a reasonable response; I'll go back to sleep now.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have any concern with someone pulling an RV-10 with the tail tie down.

Pulling it using the steps would give me some concern it it was being done on the ends.

There we have it officially.

My opinion holds fast that I still wouldn't do it

On another rear tie down question. I use it vertically with a come a long and a anchor in the floor to raise the nose while servicing the nose wheel. Is this an acceptable method?

There we have it officially.

My opinion holds fast that I still wouldn't do it

On another rear tie down question. I use it vertically with a come a long and a anchor in the floor to raise the nose while servicing the nose wheel. Is this an acceptable method?

I would say unequivocally YES. You're essentially just tying down the airframe.

If you use regular aircraft jacks, the lifting points are under the wings, but the tail is the hold down and should easily be able to bear the lifting weight of the nose. Incidentally, the same winch I use to pull my aircraft back into the hangar with, I use a tackle pulley on a floor mounted eye hook and pull the tail down in the same manner you describe on a regular basis. Should work wonderfully for you.

Last edited:
Outstanding design work

Hello Bruce,
I sent you a pm requesting any info you might want to share.
Cheers

nice!

... They are designed with RV wheel pants in mind. All are built around wheelchair motors, R/C car radio and a controller. Total of parts around $500 and a lot of hours
Bruce, looks very nice! Create a kit and become a brazzillionaire!

Very nice...I just bought a Best Tugs A3 for over $3K so there's definitely gross profit potential in your design!

Bruce, very, very nice!

I've got a commercial tug that does the same, but for a heck of a lot more money.

Note that by adjusting the width and possibly the length of the wheel resting area, yours'll work on taildraggers, too.

Dave

This videosis are ultimate home built tug and the stable of earlier tugs.

https://youtu.be/5E6MthAqOMw

https://youtu.be/ella7_dpEG8

Version three pulls my -10 around with ease. They are designed with RV wheel pants in mind. All are built around wheelchair motors, R/C car radio and a controller. Total of parts around $500 and a lot of hours

Bruce could you post some detailed pics? I would love to build something similar.

This videosis are ultimate home built tug and the stable of earlier tugs.

https://youtu.be/5E6MthAqOMw

https://youtu.be/ella7_dpEG8

Version three pulls my -10 around with ease. They are designed with RV wheel pants in mind. All are built around wheelchair motors, R/C car radio and a controller. Total of parts around $500 and a lot of hours

So when can we expect to buy one for RV10? I am putting my order now. No. 1 in line!

Back