What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing weak lift struts

Dgamble

Well Known Member
The lift struts on my -6 aren't exhibiting the same enthusiasm for the job that they used to, so I ordered a couple of replacements from Vans. Being as they're just the struts and not the original kit, they came without instructions.

Can anyone that did original installation of these struts provide some direction?

Release the spring clip...

Just pull back the little spring clip on the end of the strut and they pop right off, took all of about 10 minutes to do both. (I'm assuming the 6 is the same as the 7)

Dgamble said:
The lift struts on my -6 aren't exhibiting the same enthusiasm for the job that they used to, so I ordered a couple of replacements from Vans. Being as they're just the struts and not the original kit, they came without instructions.

Can anyone that did original installation of these struts provide some direction?
From possibly faulty memory. Get a small screwdriver and partially pry off the metal clip at each end. I think you just have to slightly lift the clip then you can pop that end off. Pop the new ones on. Support canopy while doing the preceding.

I put the steps out of proper order just to fit the proper format for these things.

Also, when you replace them be sure to install them with the proper orientation, which is with the cylinders up and the plungers down. I see a lot of them installed backwards (which would seem to make sense) but you'll find the action on them works better if they're installed "upside-down."

Before anyone jumps on me for this, go out and try it on your own tip-up. I started with mine the wrong way until somebody pointed it out to me.

Walt said:
Just pull back the little spring clip on the end of the strut and they pop right off, took all of about 10 minutes to do both. (I'm assuming the 6 is the same as the 7)
Geez, I had hoped to delete this before anyone got to it - it was embarrassingly easy to figure out.

Not to gas on about it or strut my stuff, but what a low pressure job. My self-confidence got quite a lift out of it.

sprucemoose said:
Also, when you replace them be sure to install them with the proper orientation, which is with the cylinders up and the plungers down. I see a lot of them installed backwards (which would seem to make sense) but you'll find the action on them works better if they're installed "upside-down."

Before anyone jumps on me for this, go out and try it on your own tip-up. I started with mine the wrong way until somebody pointed it out to me.
Hmm, the ones that were already on there had the cylinder at the bottom. Given how easy it is to get them on and off, I'm going to flip them over and see how that works. Thanks!

These struts are designed to extend rapidly through most of their extension, then slow down for the last inch or so. Mounting them with the cylinders down prevents this from working. Don't ask me why, but it does.

does anyone have off hand the part # or extended length for a 6A tiltup? I am wondering why the vans struts are $33 ea when I see what looks identical at $12. [ my plane is a 45 min drive away.]

Years ago I had mine installed correctly. Then Bill Benedict, (We all loved you) said they need to be turned upside down. I changed them and then they were correct. :))))

I'm not sure if the action works better one way or the other but the main reason they should be mounted with the cylinder at the top is to stop dust and dirt ingress ,if crud builds up around the entry to the cylinder as it compresses it drags the debris in past the seals,

Back