What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

another debate!

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Never Ending Debate... left or right hand stick,,,

Another one I here often.

"I am used to flying with my left/ right hand unless it is a steering wheel airplane", insert , Cessna, Beech, MD 80,,,, it is hard to switch hands to fly the rv 8 to the rv7, right hand to Left hand stick.

I say,..... BS........ no big deal, just keep the nose straight. Wake up those feet

I am one of those people who say that! :D

When I have 'trouble' landing on Flight Simulator using my left hand on the stick, I get nervous about the real thing. I flew the demo RV-7 at Van's last week in Oregon, and of course I was in the right seat....everything felt as natural as could be.

I suppose I do need to wake up the feet, and as everyone says, I guess I will get used to it pretty quickly once I am over in the left seat!

I can't wait to hear everyone else's responses? (of course, being an experimental, and YOUR plane, you 'could' mount the throttle on the left, as many others have done...)????? :rolleyes:

left or right

It doesn't matter unless you start thinking about it. I go back and forth between a Citabria (left hand throttle, right hand stick) and my KIS (left hand stick, right hand throttle) without even noticing. Fly the plane, don't worry about which hand is where.

Why IS FS different than the real thing?

I've also been flying flight simulator for years (even before getting my PPL) using my right hand on the stick. I can't fly it with my left hand no matter what.

However, I fly my RV with my left hand on the stick, and it feels natural as can be.
I use my right hand for throttle, radios, writing ATC instructions, changing songs on the ipod, getting a drink out of the bag, etc... all while keeping the left on the stick. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I flew an FA-18 sim (one of the real ones :) ) a couple months back with left throttle and right on the stick. This also felt just fine and was an easy switch, but I wasn't fiddling with radios or anything either.

--Clay

Back