What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gray Akzo equivalent?

rdamazio

Well Known Member
Hi all.

So far I've been priming all parts with the green Akzo (463-12-8) and been happy with the results. (using Prekote before the Akzo)

As I'm about to start on the fuselage, I'd like to prime at least the interior-visible parts with something that looks a little nicer, to have the option to not paint or cover it. I've seen a gray-primed on some blogs - what are those options, and are they also of comparable quality to the Akzo in terms of protection?

Any pointers appreciated.

gray epoxy primer

I used this product several times from summit racing - "Summit Racing Equipment? Epoxy Primer SUM-UP230" Its a gray base. summitracing.com

It's lead, chromate and isocyanate free and sprays well.

Have also used PPG DP50LF gray primer but it is twice the price last time I checked.

better ptice DP50

[snip

Have also used PPG DP50LF gray primer but it is twice the price last time I checked.[/QUOTE]

I just finished priming the Mk.3 F1 empennage parts here - I used Shop Line JP375. Specs online are the same as DP50, but the stuff is about 2/3 price. About the same color. Sprays out great!

Back