What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screw and washer sizes

Hi,

I'm relatively new to owning an RV-7 and noticed that some screws had worked their way out near the main wheel supports. See picture here:

open

I see a bunch of screws here:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1508876614-14-660&browse=hardware&product=screws

but I'm unsure of the sizing.

Can anyone help me out with the appropriate screw size? I believe they should be ones that are paired with slightly countersunk washers as well? I'd prefer to buy a bag of these for future use and maybe even some other common sizes so I can make quick repairs.

Thanks in advance!!
G

That is an area of the kit where details are largely left up to the builder - hence, there is no way of knowing what the builder of your particular aircraft did, and what you need. Teh best thing I can advise is to find another RV builder close by to have a look and see what you need.

It's not going to cost more than a few cents to get the right fasteners - its just hard to say what those would be.

That is an area of the kit where details are largely left up to the builder - hence, there is no way of knowing what the builder of your particular aircraft did, and what you need. Teh best thing I can advise is to find another RV builder close by to have a look and see what you need.

It's not going to cost more than a few cents to get the right fasteners - its just hard to say what those would be.

Most RVs use #4 (4-40) aftermarket, #6 (6-32), or #8 (8-32) aviation screws. There are some #10 (10-32) screws also used on early wheel pants. If you cannot find a local builder, get a few aviation screws with 100-degree countersink and see what size your builder used.

Yes you could use local obtained screws to find out what thread your nutplates are so that you can order the correct screw with the 100-degree countersink.

Most RVs use #4 (4-40) aftermarket, #6 (6-32), or #8 (8-32) aviation screws. There are some #10 (10-32) screws also used on early wheel pants. If you cannot find a local builder, get a few aviation screws with 100-degree countersink and see what size your builder used.

Yes you could use local obtained screws to find out what thread your nutplates are so that you can order the correct screw with the 100-degree countersink.

Those are obviously the right things to have around - but builders often use PK screws in the fiberglass fairings, and you don't know until you take a close look.

---snip--- - but builders often use PK screws in the fiberglass fairings, ---snip---.

I keep forgetting that others do not always do things the same way I do. I have run into the PK screws once on another RV and did not have replacement parts in my shop.

Back