What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CYLINDER OVERHAUL SHOP RECOMMENDATIONS

Columbia Aircraft Services did a fantastic job in mine. Looked like new when I got them back and they didn?t go .10 over since they didn?t need it which was a specific concern of mine. Quick turn around too.

Don George Aircraft in Orlando took very good care of my cylinder overhauls. Very happy with those guys.

Brown aviation in Tulsa...not so much...

Sal's aircraft cylinders and machine shop in proctor, tx. 972-346-3339. Let me tell you my sal's story. I was rotating spark plugs about a year ago and pulled the #2 cylinders helicoil out with the plug. I pulled the cylinder off and sent it to sal for repair on a recommendation from a local a&p. He checked it over, machined the spark plug hole, installed a new helicoil and shipped it back to me. NO CHARGE. He would not even accept the cost of the return shipping. His quote was " it only took a few minutes and you will need cylinder work in the future". I have recommended him to several guys around houston and they all say great things. He is a stand up guy that will fix what needs fixing and not bleed you dry on the cost.

Last edited:
Just dropped mine off at Zephyr Engines in Zephyrhills, FL , they came recommended, I will post an update when I get them back.

When we were in Texas, Sal was the man. Louise had the -6 in Fort Worth for the Condition Inspection, and there was an intake valve leak on one jug. They pulled it, I think Doug and Tate may have run it over to Sal's, he fixed it, they brought it back, and it was re-installed, all in an afternoon. Good guy!

Sal is the man. He's the only one that I would let work on my cyls when I lived in Texas.

Bob burns
Rv-4 N82rb

Look carefully at prices compared to new. Then ask for a detailed list of what the overhaul shop will actually replace. I used a reputable shop but didn't ask enough questions. Ended up paying within $100/cyl of new. Hint: new is better.

Look carefully at prices compared to new. Then ask for a detailed list of what the overhaul shop will actually replace. I used a reputable shop but didn't ask enough questions. Ended up paying within $100/cyl of new. Hint: new is better.

Charlie is on to something here. If you are just doing a specific repair (spark plug hole, sticky valve, etc...) ok, but if you are overhauling your engine, oversizing the jug, etc... by the time you are done with all the work you'll be within a few bucks of a brand new cylinder kit. (On most 320's and 360's at least).

I threw away (actually ebay'd) a set of 450 hr snew Lycoming cylinders a couple years ago. They had been sitting (corrosion) and by the time I cleaned them up, oversized them, etc... I was within $100 of new Superiors. I really hurt to bench such low time parts, but bolting on those shiny new ones sure was nice.

As to whether to buy Superior, ECI, or OEM....well, that's up there with the track up vs. track north. It won't be decided on the internet, ever.

DEM

Ps: Obviously track north is correct and superior in every way!! :)

Back