What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Proximity callout down to Touch Down

Then we'll have to disagree...

I have witnessed the rubber jungle in the 727. In fact, the OE instructor almost had a coronary when the FO swiped the power off at 20-30 feet...

I also have many thousands of hours in the 767 and with the GE engines, you are going to get a hard landing pulling the power at 20-30 feet...and possibly a tail strike.

Enjoy retirement...I'm still working in the mines...

I am. the only problem with being retired is you can never take another vacation..

Just a thought

For the last 10ft or so.

Have an option for a beep that beeps faster the closer to the ground you get until it's continuous at 0.

I used ultrasonic backup sensor

That's exactly what I did on my RV8 and it was a really good training aid for 3-pt landings. I used one of the sensors mounted near the tail where it goes to a continuous tone at 3-point attitude. It has worked flawlessly but after 150 hours I find it more of a distraction, especially with the MGL in copilot mode calling out airspeed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic...761476?hash=item3b3a836a84:g:Kj0AAOSwDuldnqxK

This would be perfect for an amphibian for glassy water landings. It's cheap at $16 on Ebay. Basically when the tone goes solid pull all power with stick full back, and it sticks with no or minimal hop.

I don't use the led display but wired the output from the sensor board to my intercom circuit. Also turn it on with a switch on the flaps, since at high speeds turbulence causes intermittent 'beeps'. I would be happy to post the circuit and pictures if anyone is interested.

I haven't tried 0/0 landings (WITH A SAFETY PILOT !) but it is so precise that I would't hesitate in a emergency situation.

Roger Bloomfield
N51BL at KAEJ (8,000 msl)

I don't use the led display but wired the output from the sensor board to my intercom circuit. Also turn it on with a switch on the flaps, since at high speeds turbulence causes intermittent 'beeps'. I would be happy to post the circuit and pictures if anyone is interested.

I haven't tried 0/0 landings (WITH A SAFETY PILOT !) but it is so precise that I would't hesitate in a emergency situation.

Roger Bloomfield
N51BL at KAEJ (8,000 msl)[/QUOTE]

Please post your circuit and pictures, this sounds real interesting!
Thanks!

I just got this Landing Height Controller. Looking forward to give it a try. Anyone who installed it on -6A can suggest or mention where they installed the LIDAR unit? Thanks.

Right Wing Root Fairing

I just got this Landing Height Controller. Looking forward to give it a try. Anyone who installed it on -6A can suggest or mention where they installed the LIDAR unit? Thanks.

I installed it in the right wing root fairing on my 7A. I don't have a picture of the finished installation, but this pic shows approximately where I installed it. I'll try to get an after picture this weekend.

I really like this device, it works as advertised.

LIDAR+install+location.png

Hi David

Many thanks for the posts and pictures, unfortunately we are on lockdown now in the UK so 0 aviation activity for GA I am sad to say.!

Very happy with the Engine Bridge Landing Height Controller, unit performs flawlessly with the sensor mounted in the wing root of my 7.

I did tighten the screws.:eek:

oDe.jpg

Back