What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Relay doubler for Vertical Power PPS (part FF-01402 / page 27-07)

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I am planning to use the Vertical Power Primary Power System (PPS) in my RV-14. I am beginning the firewall section of the fuselage kit and wondering if there are any adjustments I should be making to the relay doubler installation in order to accommodate that system. Looking forward to page 43-01 of the firewall forward kit plans, the master relay and starter solenoid are both intended to be mounted on the relay doubler, using two bolts each into the provided nutplates.

I could fashion a replacement for the FF-01402 Relay Doubler using the PPS template as a pattern. But anyone who has got that far into the plane would know better than I if there is room for the PPS in that position and if there are better places to mount it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has gone before. :)

RE: Relay doubler for Vertical Power PPS

I was also planning to use the Vertical Power PPS. I used the doubler that came with the kit and attached it per the plans. As for the PPS, this is what I am thinking about doing, with an emphasis on "thinking"

I am thinking about riveting two aluminum angle brackets together in a "Z" shape. So two of these (i.e. four aluminum angles making two Z brackets). The length of these would be the same length as the PPS. The Z brackets would be bolted to the existing holes where the relays would normally go. When mounted like this, the width of the brackets should match up to the width of the PPS mounting holes.

I'd have to go back and look at my scratch napkin drawing again, but I think a "Z" bracket consisted of a 1"x1" angle riveted to a 1"x1.5" angle, with the 1.5" side where the PPS would be mounted. This was needed so that the PPS mounting holes could be drilled with enough edge clearance on the bracket.

If I end up scrapping the PPS, then I can still use the standard relays and mount them on the doubler as per the plans.

Last edited:
Long wait

I have been planning to use it as well. Current data indicates that it will not be available until early 2019. Not happy.

I have been planning to use it as well. Current data indicates that it will not be available until early 2019. Not happy.
With that data, I will install the stock relay doubler and built a bracket for the PPS per the other reply above, if and when I have a PPS in hand. The worst-case scenario that way is to fly with traditional relays until I get a PPS and have time to rewire for it. (The rewiring won't be a major thing to accomplish if one plans ahead.)

Reviving an old thread because I am now in this same spot.
Any wisdom from those who have the Vertical Power system?

Thanks
Tim

I also installed the Vertical Power system. My intention was to make use of the stock relay doubler and nut plates since they were already there. I built a bracket to fit the pattern and mounted the PPS so that it is at an angle that roughly follows the engine mount tubing. I called VP to ask if the orientation mattered and they said it did not; that you could mount it upside down and it wouldn't matter. The only caveat was that you had to be careful that it was grounded properly. I'm still in the middle of my engine installation, but I discovered that where the oil breather tube is mounted to the firewall tries to occupy the same space as one corner of the PPS. There would be no interference if the mechanical contactors were there instead. I haven't decided yet if the tube needs to be bent or whether I can leave it as is because there is a flexible silicone hose that connects to the bottom of the breather tube that you may be able to maneuver to the location called for in the plans. I have the tricycle gear engine mount and thunderbolt exp engine so I can't speak to other configurations or engine choices.

Back