What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X touch software update and configuration mode

Ian Coates

I have powered up my G3X touch system today for the first time and have started by downloading and installing the latest software 5.3

Once this was done I entered the configuration mode and found that the available icons are only half that shown in the installation manual.

I am getting no LRUs showing available and when I have tried to connect them via RS232 I can not find a setting called Garmin Instrument Data as described in the manual, the nearest thing is called Garmin Data Transfer but this doesn't connect anything, the only external item that can connect is the VPX.

Any ideas from the brain collective as its Sunday I am unable to contact Garmin.

Could it be a corrupted software download? It took a surprisingly short time to download and I have tried it via Windows and IOS, it will not now update further as I think that it is reading the card and thinking that it already has the upto date version.

Ian, I just saw your post. The software upgrade is pretty short, should only take a few seconds, then a reboot. If it says ver. 5.3 down at the bottom of the screen on the reboot, you're all set.

You need to refer to the current install manual, rev. AB, I believe, for all your RS-232 port configurations. There will be specific protocols for each port outlined in the manual. I recommend that you make up a chart with all your ports, their functions, and the configuration protocol for that port. You should have an RS-232 icon on the main configuration page. Go there and start setting up your ports one at a time. It may take a little time to find the page for each port, but it is in the manual. If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you a PDF version of my RS-232 spreadsheet to serve as a guide.

Back