What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Gascolator backing plate?

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I have the Van's accessory catalog gascolator. what backing plate do I need for installation in my RV-9A?

I see pictures of this massive plate that spans the angles of the firewall, do I really need such a big plate for just the gascolator? If so, what's the P/N?

AC.

VA-161
Yes you need it to stabilize the flexing motion from engine vibration transmitting into the firewall & causing cracking. Also if the gascolator has aluminum lines running to it, you don't want any fatigue cracks forming there either.

One thing-----be sure you are using the correct in/out ports.

There is a gascolater out there that feeds from the rear mounting flange, not sure if it is the one Vans sells or not.

See this thread. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125673&highlight=gascolator

There are 6 different iterations of the gascolator produced by Usher Enterprises and sold by Van's over the years.
GAS-1 through GAS-6

As shown by the thread Mike linked to, it is important to know which one you have when installing it.

Back