What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where is N666BK ?

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Anybody check out Vlad's flight track yesterday along Long Island?
Now that's what I'm talking about. :D:D:D:D
Don't know how to insert the link here but check it out.

Easter Flight

I have nothing to do with that flight somebody else manipulated the controls. Identify yourself! :D

Obviously on a mission to have fun. Great flying area. Too much to see in one week. Been over the area many times. The sky pilot himself.
2F30FA67-B63C-49F1-B85D-8E0CB1F9102A.jpg

I have nothing to do with that flight somebody else manipulated the controls. Identify yourself! :D

It is true, I am the one responsible for that track around Long Island, and it was a blast.

I guess I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself, I've tried a few times before in other threads, but they never got a wide audience.

Anyway, I'm Greg and I have already met a few of you from here in my travels with Vlad. I just recently purchased an RV-9 empannage kit second hand and very partially completed. I am still not sure if I am going to continue through with this kit (or a new one), or if I will just eventually buy a flying RV.

I am an air traffic controller at New York center, so I'd be happy to answer any ATC-related questions anyone may have, as I am sure I will have many builder-related questions. I work oceanic airspace though, and seldom work any aircraft with a prop, let alone a piston engine, so my knowledge may not have much relevance. I would also welcome anyone to stop by my neighborhood to say hello or check out my shop and give me help or advice. I'm a 10 minute drive from ISP and 5 minutes from 23N.

The purpose of that flight was to test a new toy I picked up, a Garmin Virb Elite action camera. My video editing skills are a little rusty, but there will eventually be a video from that flight.

It is true, I am the one responsible for that track around Long Island, and it was a blast.

I guess I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself, I've tried a few times before in other threads, but they never got a wide audience.

Anyway, I'm Greg and I have already met a few of you from here in my travels with Vlad. I just recently purchased an RV-9 empannage kit second hand and very partially completed. I am still not sure if I am going to continue through with this kit (or a new one), or if I will just eventually buy a flying RV.

I am an air traffic controller at New York center, so I'd be happy to answer any ATC-related questions anyone may have, as I am sure I will have many builder-related questions. I work oceanic airspace though, and seldom work any aircraft with a prop, let alone a piston engine, so my knowledge may not have much relevance. I would also welcome anyone to stop by my neighborhood to say hello or check out my shop and give me help or advice. I'm a 10 minute drive from ISP and 5 minutes from 23N.

The purpose of that flight was to test a new toy I picked up, a Garmin Virb Elite action camera. My video editing skills are a little rusty, but there will eventually be a video from that flight.

Hey now, props go oceanic too! :) Welcome and nice post.
Patrick

I thought the track was a result of sampling his gift he received on Friday ;^)
His track on Friday was very straight

I thought the track was a result of sampling his gift he received on Friday ;^)
His track on Friday was very straight

Nyet! The gift is still sealed. Those turns were induced by a very heavy camera mounted on right wing. We couldn't even climb more then 500'. Per minute... :D

Greg, like you I am a huge fan of the RV's but three kid'$ college and grad $chool have kept me flying a nice Cessna 150 for the time being. I keep it at HWV but pass by Bayport on my way out east. Send me a PM if you are interested in flying low and slow while you build the RV.

when in dought just buy one and enjoy flying and playing with one. sounds like you need to make more videos. cant wait to see your work. i could probably hook you up with some hangar space with friends at gabreski, north side.
P1010778.jpg

Greg, like you I am a huge fan of the RV's but three kid'$ college and grad $chool have kept me flying a nice Cessna 150 for the time being. I keep it at HWV but pass by Bayport on my way out east. Send me a PM if you are interested in flying low and slow while you build the RV.

I'll fly any chance I get, but our schedules may not mesh. Let me know if you ever need a passenger.

when in dought just buy one and enjoy flying and playing with one. sounds like you need to make more videos. cant wait to see your work. i could probably hook you up with some hangar space with friends at gabreski, north side.
P1010778.jpg

Thanks, I am currently considering the possibility of buying a -3 to fly around while I build the -9, so I may call you on that offer in the not-too-distant future.

WOW

P1010778.jpg
Is that your house Turbo?

Hey Greg , good to hear from you , I am one of the those that you have met (at 39N the guy with the natural tan lol!)l ooking forward to seeing some in flight video from the Virb

Juan

Grass Strip

http://youtu.be/YlvHgYOYvzw

Go easy on me, it is my first attempt at shooting and editing a flying video. The takeoff was awful.

Greg, very familiar with everything in your video, almost. Where is the grass strip at the 2:48 mark showing a heading of approximately 200 degrees? At first I thought it was Rose's airport in Orient but heading and small piece of land don't match up?

Nice touch BTW. Thanks!
Tony

Good Job!

The purpose of that flight was to test a new toy I picked up, a Garmin Virb Elite action camera.

Greg,

Nice video for a first timer! No action video of Vlad (sleeping?):D

The video looks good! I spoke to Garmin when I was at Sun n Fun last month and told them my only big beef with the Virb.....is that it sounds toooo much like an English term.....and for me that brings back bad school memories:eek::D

I guess I should leave the "past participle" in the past....but it's hard!

Bob - taking the "pro" out of nouns for over five decades!

Greg, very familiar with everything in your video, almost. Where is the grass strip at the 2:48 mark showing a heading of approximately 200 degrees? At first I thought it was Rose's airport in Orient but heading and small piece of land don't match up?

Nice touch BTW. Thanks!
Tony

Ah ha! I was hoping someone would ask that, it is the top secret strip on Gardiners Island. It is not on any chart or map, and having done some research, I have not been able to find a point of contact for permission to land or anything. The Gardiner Family still owns the island and it was granted to the family by the king of England something like 400 years ago. I found it one day by accident while flying around in a rented skyhawk.

http://goo.gl/maps/1R2FI

Edit: We actually looked for the grass strip out at orient and didn't see it, it may be caught on video, but we didn't see it. I will PM you a link to the full unedited video

Last edited:

Greg that's a cool clip I reposted elsewhere. I told you to go between the ferries they saw us and started playing :)

On related note there is a quick evening fix of yesterday. It was windy and a bit bumpy. From rural to urban in minutes it's the magic of RV. Saw a fire consuming a farm there was nothing on the news it means people were safe.

Somebody on the way to warmer water. A cruise ship just passed Verrazano Bridge. They usually sail in pairs but this was alone.

Bumpy over Big Apple.

Those who are flying East River Exclusion please hold your altitude spot on and talk to respective control towers about class B clearance. I started talking to LGA and got cleared while momentarily popping in Newark airspace on the edge of it. After checking out with LGA over Hudson the EWR tower called on Hudson River CTAF and gave me a brief lecture :eek:

Godzilla eggs.

Club

Great video! Time to start a club of those who flew N666BK in the left seat :) and survived the yelling from the right :D

Back