What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Updated G3X Panel ready for OshKosh!

Walt

Well Known Member
Upgraded from a 2 screen G3X to a 3 screen just in time for Osh.
I just love this setup, kept my engine inst on the CGR30 which keeps the map full size on MFD1.
Now the wife and others passengers get to enjoy a PFD/MFD (weather/charts/traffic/waypoint info/etc.) right in front of them.
Thanks to Mike and the other great folks at Steinair for getting this panel cut in record time for this last minute project.
If you're in HBP/HBC feel free to stop by and say hello and take a look.

IMG_0683%20orig%20%282%29-X2.jpg

Link to full size pic: https://photos.smugmug.com/Walts-RV7/i-RXvw4b3/1/5f9a9957/4K/IMG_0683%20orig-4K.jpg

I'll be in HBC all week.

Picture%20025-L.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Great! How do you like the full size Ipad? I am on the fence as to what size to get.

Nice!! Look at all those maps! Too bad you can use them to follow the R/R tracks to FISKE. - but your wife can....

Looks Great! How do you like the full size Ipad? I am on the fence as to what size to get.

I love my 11 pro iPad, would not have anything smaller. I do use my iPhone for the checklist and backup. And the new audio check list is sweeeeet.

I just love this setup, kept my engine inst on the CGR30 which keeps the map full size on MFD1.
Now the wife and others passengers get to enjoy a PFD/MFD right in front of them.
Thanks to Mike and the other great folks at Steinair for getting this panel cut in record time for this last minute project.

IMG_0683-X2.jpg

Very nice, and very nicely laid out.

Now the wife and others passengers get to enjoy a PFD/MFD right in front of them.

IMG_0683-X2.jpg

Where is your fresh air vent?

My fresh air vent is under the panel.

I use an iPad Mini 5 in my RV-8A - anything larger gets in the way. Works fine.

Sweet panel, btw.

Wooooooow! Here I thought dual 10" displays side by side was the only way to go with G3X. Have to re-think my whole world now! Correct me if I'm wrong but this layout looks like it has the advantage of not having to re-locate those ribs between the sub-panel and panel. Looks like you're using Van's stock location for the screws.

Yes 10" pro, love it! Shows a map in this shot but mainly used for IFR plates.

Where is your fresh air vent?

Can't really see them but they are in the lower left & right corners of the panel along with the phone plugs.

Wooooooow! Here I thought dual 10" displays side by side was the only way to go with G3X. Have to re-think my whole world now! Correct me if I'm wrong but this layout looks like it has the advantage of not having to re-locate those ribs between the sub-panel and panel. Looks like you're using Van's stock location for the screws.

I relocated the LH rib OB about 2 inches, the RH was removed all together, the radio stack and control cables are anchored to the sub panel so the panel is quite rigid.
As a side note both ADAHRS are attached to the subpanel to avoid any vibration issues.

Last edited:
Hi Walt,

I?d love to see a picture behind that panel. How do you fit al the wiring and other stuff that support that panrl?

Michael

Thanks! Looks like the pro's are on sale on Prime day right now so might just need to pick one up.

Back