What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine replacement

jwsllrs

I'm New Here
I have an RV-8, and a high time IO360A1A and I am considering replacing it with an IO360A1B6 due to tired cylinders. Lycoming says the dimensions are the same for the two engines except for the length. Lycoming tells me the IO360A16B is an inch longer. Lycoming cannot tell me if the inch is in front or behind the engine mount attachments. If anyone has made this swap, or has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks, Jwsllrs

IO-360-A1B6 vs IO-360-A1A

These 2 engines are virtually Identical, they use the same case Sump and jugs. The notable difference is in the A1B(6), the 6 denotes a counter weighted crankshaft ( moveable pendulums ) but both crankshafts have identical lengths. The only difference that comes to mind that might affect length would be the choice of magnetos, with the Bendix being slightly longer.
Both engines will be interchangeable in your RV, whatever minor differences can be made up with spacers Behind the spinner bulkhead along the lines of .032?-.060?.

why?

What is a tired cylinder? Have you considered just replacing them? If your doing a good oil filter inspection I would just replace cylinders as needed. Just my opinion.

engines

The A1B6 engine take the 1200 series mags that are longer. Everything else on the engine would be the same as it appears on the outside.

Jesse
Colorado Air Parts

Back