What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel quantity probes

SuperRV7

I'm New Here
This is my second RV and Van's doesn't sell the capacitance probes for the fuel tanks. What type of fuel quantity probes are people using and where are they getting the probes or parts from?

I am guessing that your first RV had capacitive senders and you liked them, as I do mine.

You can make your own just like Van used to include in the kits by standing a piece of sheet metal off inside your tanks and bringing a lead from it to the outside of your tanks.

I would make my own capacitive senders again in a heartbeat if I were building another plane.

:) CJ

I have a complete set of the probes I just removed from some new tanks. also have the electronic converters if you need them. Make me an offer.

I have the floats and so far, am not impressed. The right one is sorta accurate, from 3-15 gallons. The left one is the second one I've installed, after triple-checking dimensions, and still it is hung up on something and does not change. I should have confirmed functionality while the tanks were open. I thought I did, but I guess not.

That being said, my fuel flow totalizer is always accurate to within .5 gallons or less, and is what I go by. I still plan on re-doing the left float again, but I consider them much less useful.

Chris

Many RV owners have installed our FL-2M, dual fuel level instrument with our P-300M magnetic probes. It's an inexpensive alternative for a much improved system. We use your existing float probes and build far more accurate and robust magnetic replacements. They don't suffer from the same failures such as broken bridges, failed wipers, corrosion and stuck floats that the restrictive probes do. An entire package can be had for roughly 1 AMU through any of the larger dealers. PM me for additional details if you would like.

Last edited:
Back