What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you hold the "ear" down on the canopy

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello all:

I am fitting the canopy of my RV 7 to the framework and want to keep the "ears" of the 745 .

Has anyone come up with a good way to hold the ears flat while applying the fibreglass resin?

Dave

Dave,

I'm not clear on the "ears" to which you refer. Any chance you have a photo?

You shouldn't have to put any pressure on them to make them lay flat. Bend them in place so there isn't any tension/pressure required. Otherwise I can see cracking in your future.

Scuffed and masked.
IMG_2563-M.jpg

Filled the remaining gap with some flox mixture.
IMG_2565-M.jpg

Ears covered.
IMG_2577-M.jpg

Dave,
I cut a 4 inch length of cable roughly the same diameter as the plexi's thickness. With the canopy resting in place on the frame, I sharpee-marked on the frame the bottom edge clearance of the canopy on each side of the ear. Then, with the canopy removed, I put the cable piece under the ear, lined up with the edge line markings. This piece of cable now becomes a sort of 'bend brake' for the metal ear.
I then just bent the ear inward, just a little, so that it conformed with the plexi surface. You'll want to drop the canopy back on a time or two to check and adjust the bend. It worked like a charm for me and my sika'd canopy.

thanks

great help guys i love the pics. will go with the cable and bend idea. Thanks again

Back