What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical stabilizer top fairing

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
I am looking for the fairing that attaches to the top of the vertical fin on my RV-7A but I don't want to use the fiberglass one provided by Van instead I would like to have one made out of lexan (clear fairing) so I could install a recognition light in it. Anyone with a solution?

You could make one out of plexiglass but not sure if you would want to have the light there. It would be covered from the rear by the rudder fairing and if it was opened from the front it may effect night vision. But it could be done...:D

Tip Cap

Later model Grumman Tigers had a red tinted tip cap on the vertical fin. The flashing beacon was a white lamp inside of that. I believe it had a sheet metal shield on front side of bulb so it wouldn't flash on the cockpit area. It would still illuminate the top of the wings at night. You might be able to modify the Grumman part easier than trying to make something from scratch.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

I installed a Beacon light in the vertical stab, in fact it is a red strobe light. Here in Germany we are not allowed to fly at night so can?t comment on that. I epoxied it into the fairing and it only protudes a little. I didn?t find a pic from the finished airplane but you get the idea. I even made a second fairing without the light and can use the connector inside the fairing as a power supply for a Gopro camera.
The light is a PosiStrobe MiniMax (www.aveoengineering.com).

I installed a Beacon light in the vertical stab, in fact it is a red strobe light. Here in Germany we are not allowed to fly at night so can?t comment on that. I epoxied it into the fairing and it only protudes a little. I didn?t find a pic from the finished airplane but you get the idea. I even made a second fairing without the light and can use the connector inside the fairing as a power supply for a Gopro camera.
The light is a PosiStrobe MiniMax (www.aveoengineering.com).

I like what you did and appreciate the reply however I can't justify $480.00 for a beacon on a experimental airplane

Back