Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 AM

Default Tow-Bar for RV-12, revisited

Questions:
1. Has anyone had the RV-12 tow-bar sold by Van's break at the T-junction where the legs attach to the handle? Van's told me they feel that our break is our fault for spreading the legs too far apart, but my partner denies that. Van's suggested I get a welder to repair it.
2. Bogert Aviation does not sell a stock tow-bar for an RV-12 WITH wheel pant on the nose gear. However, they sent me their custom-build form to fill out and I am thinking of doing that. Has anyone had them build a custom tow-bar for an RV-12 with wheel pant? If so, can you share the successful dimensions you used in filling out the form?
I have NOT been using the Van's bar to pull or push the aircraft in and out of the hangar; only for steering. However, in spite of my advice, my partners have, and it appears the axle inserts have popped out several times, damaging the nose wheel fairing.

We'll get someone to weld our Van's bar but save it for taking along on trips in the RV. For getting the aircraft in and out of the hangar, we need something considerably more substantial and with a more reliable wheel attachment method than the silly velcro strap affords.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:34 AM

I think this is the tow bar I purchased from Aircraft Spruce for ground ops at the hanger.

You will need to re-arc the legs so the don't rub on the wheel fairing...

photo url
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N68203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 415

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 02-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Default Minor mod for the Vanís tow bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappe View Post
Questions: [indent]
...and it appears the axle inserts have popped out several times, damaging the nose wheel fairing.
I never had problems with the Vanís tow bar popping out. One minor modification I made that made it work better was to NOT stick the Velcro strap on the tow bar, but just make a loop out of the strap that can slide up and down on the upper part of the tow baróthe further you slide it down, the tighter the grip. Our tow bar has served well for six years.
RV-12 #120332 N73HR
Austin, TX
TangoFlight Mentor
Old 02-18-2019, 10:02 AM

I use my tow bar exclusively for all towing. It broke at the "T" after about 4 years of use. I had it welded about 4 or so years ago and it worked fine. But, just recently one of the legs broke about 1/4" or more from the weld repair site. I suppose it was in the heat affected zone. I'm going to visit with another welder and see what he has to say about it.

Last edited by jrich : 02-18-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Default Integrity 426 ES

Due to the steering arm coming off the Vans Washers and bolts several times and damaging the Nose Wheel Fairing. I have redesigned the fitting for holding the tow bar. Use a 1.5 in length of 7/8 in tube that the tow bar fits inside of, weld a AN970-416 on one end. Drill the washer to 5/16 in in a lathe to ensure it is centred then these tubes bolt to the nose gear fork side using AN5-4A bolts and AN 365-524 nuts.It will be necessary to open the holes in the faring to clear the tubes. End of problem
JAE